The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
prbetts (67), 1988XL (63), jbcant (62), gearman (59), rejeanprimeau, Hdrider8831200 (53), AOW (46), adair727, Mechano (42), 64physhy (42), Buckshot (40)
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
Sportster/Buell Model #2: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 74
hawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nicehawk mechanic is just really nice
Default compensating sprocket removal

To keep it short and sweet, I got the nut off of both sprockets. I thought that would be the worst part of it, but I guess that I was wrong. The clutch basket wants to slide right off, but not the compensating sprocket
I am about to make some sort of a slide hammer and pull the thing off. My plan is to put two holes into a piece of steel for the holes in the sprocket holes. In the center, I am going to drill a hole, and use my home made slide hammer to try to pull it off. Somebody please tell me if that sounds like a horrible idea. I will see if it all works tomorrow.

Joe
Old 1st August 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

You could also use a 3 1/2 - 4 inch X 1/2" bolt having fine threads for most of its length and use the nut on the inside of your steel cross piece to gently pull the sprocket off the crankshaft.

Both ways work one is just slower and easier on the main bearing.

Cheers;