The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Bison Motorsports  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
Biltwell
883 Sportster
Motor Stage
Superbrace

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
CaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enough
Default My quick & cheap fix for the "blind" mirror problem.

Not really sure what's the best forum for this. Not sure if this problem is specific to rubber mounts or some years and I don't think it really qualifies as an "accessory" so I decided to post it in general problems and let the mods move it if they feel there's a better spot.

Anyway, I finally got fed up with not being able to see much aside from my arms in my rear view mirrors but havn't really settled on a permanant solution. Rather than spending 30 bucks on an extension kit that seems to get mixed reviews depending on the rider, or worse, start doing more expensive mods I'm not sure I'll be happy with without thinking it through I came up with a cheap and fairly quick way to temporarily mount convex mirrors beyond the stock ones until I decide on a more permanant solution.

Of course, they're still subject to vibration but at least I can see what's behind me and in the blind spot where I can't turn my head far enough. For around 14 bucks and an hour of my time invested I feel a lot better on the road now.

Since I don't have an image host I can link to and do a writeup post here and didn't want to waste gallery space on a bunch of small closeups I did a writeup on my personal web site in case anyone wanted to see how I mounted them as food for thought.

My writeup with photos is here.
Old 4th August 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: ex sporty
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
mdaycb is on a distinguished roadmdaycb is on a distinguished roadmdaycb is on a distinguished roadmdaycb is on a distinguished roadmdaycb is on a distinguished road

Real good idea, thanks for taking the time to document what you did. Looks good.
Old 5th August 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB750 Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
ray1970 is on a distinguished roadray1970 is on a distinguished road

Seems like quite a bit of work... why not just stick the spot mirrors to the factory mirrors to increase your field of view?
Old 5th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

Neat solution but some time ago I came to the conclusion that the only answer was bar-end mirrors. Anything fitted into the normal holes are either too short or, if longer, vibrate too much.

Fox
Old 5th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Seems like quite a bit of work... why not just stick the spot mirrors to the factory mirrors to increase your field of view?
That's what I did on the glide (outside edge) and it helped out a lot!!! Funniest part is the mirror will vibrate but the spot mirrors won't...

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th August 2008
Know It All

DoctorQ is on a distinguished roadDoctorQ is on a distinguished roadDoctorQ is on a distinguished roadDoctorQ is on a distinguished road

I bought a set of extenders-worked like a cham for me.
HD Super Sport Quick Detach Winshield
HD Large Capacity "Express Rider" Saddle Bags
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttlemaster
HD Airfoil Pegs
HD Turn Signal Relocation
Kuryakyn Mustache Bar w/ Switchblades
Mustang Vintage Wide Solo
My neighbors old Tool Bag :D
Old 6th August 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB750 Bobber
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
ray1970 is on a distinguished roadray1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
That's what I did on the glide (outside edge) and it helped out a lot!!! Funniest part is the mirror will vibrate but the spot mirrors won't...
That's wierd... maybe they are cushioned by the sticky foam tape on them or something?
Seems like I end up buying a new sportster nearly every year....
Old 6th August 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 833C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
powellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enough
Default What a great idea...

Beautiful idea, great write-up. The mirror extenders I have cost more and rust as soon as installed. I will be doing your mod. Thanks.
Old 6th August 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 xlc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GS1000 rat-cafe
Other Motorcycle Year: 1981
prettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura aboutprettyponyofdoom has a spectacular aura about

functional and looks pretty good too... great post!
Old 7th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
CaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enoughCaveDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
It's an option but I wanted a full view behind as well as the sides and just sticking on the convex mirrors wouldn't have done that in my case. I like having 360 degree awareness of my surroundings.

The only downside is that you have to remember that objects appear farther away in spot mirrors and assume things are closer than they look.

The only problem I've had is when I had the cover on my bike during a windy day at work the cover flapping around pulled the mirrors down. I just pushed them back up though and they stayed fine.
Know Thy Hog