The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
texrex (62), jjluvstoride (49), njstoehr (38), tacho75xlh (35), 80ironhead80 (25)
BIKE BUILDER
Licks Holiday
Motor Stage
Superbrace

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Saltydog is on a distinguished roadSaltydog is on a distinguished road
Default Tools needed for shock removal

What exact tools do I need to remove my rear shocks?
Old 4th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C Pewter Pearl (gone)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: SuperGlide Custom
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
Thornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished roadThornhammer is on a distinguished road

T-50 Torx bit and a 3/4" wrench, I believe. There isn't a lot to it.

A bike lift is a B-I-G help, assuming you want to get the darn things back on again after you've removed them.

That or some method to compress the shock springs.
Old 4th August 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

MadMax25 has disabled reputation

Firstly, do only one at a time!!!
Having said that, doing one at a time will still allow
for a little bit of misalignment making getting the bolts
back in through the shock eyes very tough.
Don't ask me how I know.
You will need some way to jack up the swing arm
to get everything back into alignment.
Old 4th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Use the 3/4" wrench to turn the nuts, use the torx bit to hold the bolts from turning. If you use the torx bit to try and turn the torx bolt to loosen the nut, it will likely strip. It is almost insane to try and change shocks without jacking up the bike enough the get the rear wheel off the ground. After I jack up the bike, I use a wooden ramp, similiar to ramp you would drive a car up on to work under it, to slide under the tire and get the mounting holes to line up. Use lock tight.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 4th August 2008
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
blkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to all

Glad I stumbled on this. I assume the same size torx applies to an '07? I've been thinking about pulling the rear shock, too. Not to change (at least yet) but to paint the coils black. Just think it would look better. Glad to hear it isn't too big a deal. Not in any hurry to do this, but its something I've been pondering.

Thom
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th August 2008

XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

It can turn into a nightmere if you try and do it without a bike jack or if you strip the torx bolts.
Old 4th August 2008

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Yeah 07's are still T-50s.

I've not stripped a Torx bolt since the mid-90s.

The forumula to prevent that is

1. Make sure you have decent bits.

2. Make sure you have the right size.

3. Put bit on an extension, put combo in bolt and wack it with a hammer to help free any corrosion or threadlock

4. Put pressure inward on the bit (downward on the head of the ratched or breaker bar) as you loosen it.

I've swapped a bunch of shocks without lifting the bike - as long as the replacements are the same length or shorter - but if they're longer it's a LOT easier to jack the bike up a bit first.

Kev
Old 4th August 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 833C
powellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enough
Default Bike Lift

Remember too, that a bike lift can be as simple as this:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

And do replace the shocks one at a time. It helps a lot.
Old 5th August 2008
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Standard
blkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to allblkshark is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellsanmiguel View Post
Remember too, that a bike lift can be as simple as this:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

And do replace the shocks one at a time. It helps a lot.
What about a regular automotive rollaround floor jack? Will that work? Maybe with a larger platform?
Old 5th August 2008

Quote:
What about a regular automotive rollaround floor jack? Will that work? Maybe with a larger platform?
The platform of a floor jack may be unstable. The regular bike jacks are more stable.
Know Thy Hog