The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
RYCA Motors
Biltwell
RYCA Motors

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
tlgibson97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill give that a try. but will that effect how the pipes fit to the heads? When I installed it I basically put everyhting together loose then tightened the flange bolts. After that I tightened everything else.
Old 17th May 2006
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley Heritage
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

Here are a couple of pictures that show the spacing I described.
Here is a picture that shows the nut that I used to space out the rear support bracket from the frame.

Here is one that shows the spacing between the rear pipe and the brake linkage.

Here is one that shows the spacing from the muffler to the lower belt guard.

Hope those help.

PS. See my bike gets dirty!

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
Screamin' Eagle 10:1 pistons
Stage 2 883 heads
Screamin' Eagle .497" cams
Screamin' Eagle Mikuni HSR42
Thunderheader
Forcewinder
Old 17th May 2006
Biker

Well, I tried the spacer idea. I just couldnt get enough clearance and still get the flanges to bolt up. Fortunately, I did manage to bend the rod nicely around the pipe. Doesn't look too out of place. I'm just glad the rod was long enough to allow me to put a bend in it and still reach. So, I solced the problem. It might not have been the best way to do it but thats how it got done. Cant have the bike down for too long, the kids are bugging me to death to ride. I cant blame them.
Old 17th May 2006
Super Moderator

Shu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to beholdShu is a splendid one to behold

tl,

Does your pipe have the exact same bends as mine?

I am sure the HD forward controls that you buy as add-ons are the same as the stock one, so maybe you got the Thunderheader for mid controls????? Check out how mine bends and turns and see if your follows the same exact path. Check out my gallery for a lot of very detailed pictures. Just keep clicking on each one and they will blow up HUGE.
Old 17th May 2006
Biker

Here's a pic of my bike now. It looks like it has the same bends except it looks like I see a weld on yours like the pipe diameter is reduced to pass by the linkage. I need to find a pic of one with mids and see the difference.
Know Thy Hog

Old 17th May 2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgibson97
Here's a pic of my bike now. It looks like it has the same bends except it looks like I see a weld on yours like the pipe diameter is reduced to pass by the linkage.
That is the right pipe. That isn't a weld on mine, it's the heat sheild. Since you moved it around and it still doesn't fit, then I'd guess that the rear pipe was just made wrong or welded on wrong.
Old 18th May 2006
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

Stuff: YES