The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
Bison Motorsports
Licks Cycles
Get Lowered

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
sandy57 has disabled reputation
Default HD Detachable windshield is too high???

Hey everyone, I just bought a HD detachable windshield, standard height off of ebay. It is about an inch to high for me seeing that I am only 5'1. Is there anyway to trim the windshield??? and How would I do that?
thanks.
mustang solo seat
Solo rack
Old 21st May 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Jig saw, then belt sander to smooth out the edges. Cover the shield with contact paper before starting to trim, and draw out the line where you plan on cutting first. It's not too bad.

--Chris
Old 21st May 2006
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
santansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enoughsantansporty will become famous soon enough

if you don't want to do it yourself, you could probably find a glass-cutter or windshield shop that would do it for you...
Old 23rd May 2006
Knows a thing or two

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of

"Measure twice, cut once." Use masking tape to experiment with where you'll cut. Apply a line of tape, then go for a ride. You only need to see about fifty feet ahead when looking overtop. Anything less could end up too short.
Unless you're really handy with tools, forget about DIY--windshields are expensive and you can ruin one very quickly and easily if you don't know what you're doing. The local dealership outsources these trim jobs. It ain't cheap, but it's worth it to end up with a good job.
Old 23rd May 2006
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C Black & Silver
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Mr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy57
Hey everyone, I just bought a HD detachable windshield, standard height off of ebay. It is about an inch to high for me seeing that I am only 5'1. Is there anyway to trim the windshield??? and How would I do that?
thanks.
Sandy, Think about this? Its only 1 inch. Why take a chance on ruining a good W/S. there must be some adjustment in the mounting brackets? Look at it real good
Jim
Making a F-550 Pick Up Thread
We are not near but we are close !
Amanda Overmyer Rocks !!
Dear Eliot
Eye Xray Here
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd May 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
loki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really niceloki03xlh is just really nice

you could move the mounting brackets as far down on the froks as you can, and see if that helps.
Old 23rd May 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Deicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura aboutDeicer18 has a spectacular aura about

I know you don't want to hear this option, but you can buy a compact lexan sheld rebuiild kit for $109 from Chicago Harley. It comes with the lexan, double sided tape, and rubber grommets. I don't know what the Part# is but you can get that from any dealer. List is $124.99 if I remember correctly. The rebulid is easy with the existing hardware that is on your present shield.
Old 23rd May 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Destry has disabled reputation

This suggestion may be laughable, haven't finished my coffee yet so not fully awake...How about getting a beaded seat cover. Easy on and off. Will raise you up at least a half inch, and add great circulation for those hot summer rides. That plus a tweak in the mounting bracket position just might do the trick.
Old 23rd May 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicer18
I know you don't want to hear this option, but you can buy a compact lexan sheld rebuiild kit for $109 from Chicago Harley. It comes with the lexan, double sided tape, and rubber grommets. I don't know what the Part# is but you can get that from any dealer. List is $124.99 if I remember correctly. The rebulid is easy with the existing hardware that is on your present shield.
I second this sentiment. Of course, it negates the savings on the eBay windshield, but it's an easy solution.

--Chris
Old 23rd May 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1200RT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
cadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enoughcadiero will become famous soon enough

I would move the windshield down as much as possible. If the cutout for the headlight hits the headlight cut this section rather than the top of the windshield out. This will help cut down on wind coming up from under the windshield.
Know Thy Hog