The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
NHRS Performance
Lowbrow Customs
Burly
Lowbrow Customs

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XB9SX
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Bicycles (Daily Rider)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
LifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the rough
Default Wheel Size Versus Handling?

Which wheel and tire combination offers the best handling? From the basics of what I can find, the larger the wheels, the better cruising is, but if going for handling and road carving, I've seen a lot of mix between 17" and 18" wheels.

Has anyone done any testing or have any experience of which would be best for which application on a Sportster?
Old 13th August 2008
Master Mechanic

LifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the roughLifesHarlequin is a jewel in the rough

Seems like all the Buells run with 120/70/17 front and 180/55/17 rear tires. Anyone installed a set of buell wheels on their Sportster and noticed a difference in flickability?
Old 13th August 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud of

The wider tires are better for cornering power.

Narrow tires make your bike feel more nimble

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Old 14th August 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Albie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enoughAlbie1200 will become famous soon enough

I was once told a taller wheel will resist leaning to the side due to gyroscopic effects. If it is true a bike with 17" wheels will enter a turn easier than a bike with 21" (front). Of course this is hearsay and I never claimed to be a physics major, so there is a good chance I am wrong.
Old 14th August 2008
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XT550 mutant
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
stealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nicestealthammer is just really nice

The stickiest tires are usually only available in 17" (front/rear) and a few 18" (rear) these days. There is nothing really sticky is made in 21", only a few in 19". If you are going the really carve 17" is the way to go, but a 19" front and 18" rear is a distant second best choice. If you want the best handling you have to start at the tire, not the wheel size.

Stealthammer
1975 XLCH Ironhead - Stage II/1200, and oh yeah... It's Black!
"No matter how much you learn about computers, someone will always ask you to fix their car."

Still missin' Mr. Jimi......

XLF member's son needs our help!
Please Support Red Friday!

Last edited by stealthammer; 14th August 2008 at 21:18..
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th August 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Sport
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
88inchsporty has disabled reputation

I run radials. 120/60-17 front, and a 150/70-17 rear. Flickability is outstanding,as are all aspects of ride and handling. Responds quicker to rider inputs than my Buell X-1.

'98 1200 Sport, with 88 inch, PM Chicane wheels & PM brakes, Radials (150/70-17 & 120/60-17), JMC swingarm, yada yada yada
Old 14th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

I think generalizations can be dangerous - you have to consider not only tire size, but construction/profile - radial vs. bia-ply for instance...
Old 15th August 2008
Master Mechanic

I'm looking at getting a set of custom 40 spoke wheels (17x3.5 front and 17x5.5 rear) covered in Pirelli Diablo Strada tires (120/70 and 180/55),which is the same as the Buell. Can anyone see any problems with ride height or angle change? I know the height will be lower, and the wheel base slightly shorter, but with the angle being tilted downward toward the front, would this increase or decrease handling?

I know on cars, with the front in still in a dive, the car will handle lousy through a corner as the weight balance will be mostly on the front tires, which will cause understeer.. does this hold true for a motorcycle?

If so, how would I correct this? Lower the rear end via shock setup?
Old 15th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Brian73 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post
The wider tires are better for cornering power.

Narrow tires make your bike feel more nimble

Narrower tires make your bike more nimble. For best cornering capability, in theory, you want your tires to only be as wide as they need to be to get the power to the ground without slipping. 250 cc 2-stroke bikes out-corner liter bikes on a road course while running only 150mm rear tires.

And, like Kev M said, width is only part of the equation.
Old 15th August 2008
Master Mechanic

The Diablo Strada's are radial tires, and the 180 seems about the right size.. I'm more worried about the change in bike profile and how it will affect handling.
Know Thy Hog