The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
Licks Holiday
Foxcreek Leather

Ironworks Magazine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute
Default 200miles using XiEDs

A great big thumbs-up for these.
My 883R has a K&N filter with drilled out air-box and stock exhausts.

The XiEDs have stopped the surging at cruising speed and made the bike far more rideable. The throttle response is quicker and the bike feels freer and happier to rev, and the top-gear roll-on from 50mph seems stronger. Occasionally it felt like the bike was surging, so I whipped in the clutch and it was the road surface that gave that impression. I could do with a really smooth road surface, but I'm not going to get that in the UK, I'll have to wait until I go back to France for that.

Oil-bag temps before they were installed were 195-200░F and the fuel economy was 51mpg(US). Temps after were 190-195░F and 48mpg. Not a great change.

However, it's the improved rideability of the bike that is most impressive. Before the XiEDs I was getting quite frustrated at trying to ride around the surging issue - now, I can just get on and enjoy the ride.

I'm happy enough with them that I've just ordered a pair for MrsB's bike - and I'll take the Cobra Fi2000R off.
Old 18th August 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
nightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura aboutnightsterman has a spectacular aura about

I'm glad to hear that your bikes running better. My bike is still running great with the cobra. What is the XIEDs ?

Peace,
Mark
Old 18th August 2008

ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsterman View Post
I'm glad to hear that your bikes running better. My bike is still running great with the cobra. What is the XIEDs ?
They're these from Nightrider.

The original thread with lots of technical stuff is here.
Old 18th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Colin - you know what I still can't wrap my head around.

Why the DIFFERENCES in these bikes.

You're getting great temps and great mileage, but you had the surge.

We've had no surge, but lousy temps and lousy mileage (at least by comparison).

The Vied's don't seem to be doing anything for us, except MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE a little more power - but that's so hard to judge SOP.

Of course, I'm still testing and I'm gonna crank em up a bit...
Old 18th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB12
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Adrenalinmoto is on a distinguished roadAdrenalinmoto is on a distinguished roadAdrenalinmoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Colin - you know what I still can't wrap my head around.

Why the DIFFERENCES in these bikes.

You're getting great temps and great mileage, but you had the surge.

We've had no surge, but lousy temps and lousy mileage (at least by comparison).

The Vied's don't seem to be doing anything for us, except MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE a little more power - but that's so hard to judge SOP.

Of course, I'm still testing and I'm gonna crank em up a bit...
Maybe it is because you are using the VIED that allows variable AF ratio rather than the XIED which is fixed at 13.8:1? What AF ratio is your VIED set at now?

You should see a noticeable difference in cylinder head temperature rather than just oil temperature, and should have a gain in roll on acceleration too. Outright power probably won't make too much difference.

I have some XIED's to test on our XR1200 and will hopefully get on a dyno soon to measure the difference and will try to get the cylinder head temp at the same time (If my local exhaust manufacturer ever makes an appearance and finishes my one-off pipe )

Old 18th August 2008

Kev, that's the thing that struck me, too. Everybody else has been talking about engine temps, but my main problem was the surging. It felt like I was always riding into a gusting headwind when I was trying to cruise steadily down the motorways. (Except on those days when there was a gusting headwind...this is Britain after all)

One thing I've done lately is put injector cleaner in the tank on nearly every fill-up, and I feel that may of helped as well, but the XiEDs really were icing on the cake, for me. My bike was in last week for the heat-shield recall so I asked them to do a fuel pressure test as well. They found a steady pressure, well within the specified range.

Sue's bike, when new and totally stock, never ran hot at all. My bike, when new and totally stock, felt very hot untill I put the Cobra on it. When I came back from France I took the Cobra off and ran it with no fuel management system for a couple of hundred miles and it never really got hot again, but the surging stayed.

There seems to be no pattern to all the different results. Sue's XiEDs have shipped, so they should be here by the weekend. I shall report my findings.
Old 18th August 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalinmoto View Post
I have some XIED's to test on our XR1200 and will hopefully get on a dyno soon to measure the difference and will try to get the cylinder head temp at the same time (If my local exhaust manufacturer ever makes an appearance and finishes my one-off pipe )
Do you feel that the XR1200 is running hot or surging at a steady cruising speed? Are you getting the XiEDs to address a specific problem that the bike has, or are you hoping for a 'general' improvement?

The more before and after data we can collect, the better chance of some sort of pattern emerging.
Old 18th August 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Maybe it is because you are using the VIED that allows variable AF ratio rather than the XIED which is fixed at 13.8:1? What AF ratio is your VIED set at now?
Set in the middle for initial testing 14.0:1 - I'm trying to decide if I should just go full rich for a tankful and see what happens or if I should teak it up by .05 or .10 increments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
There seems to be no pattern to all the different results. Sue's XiEDs have shipped, so they should be here by the weekend. I shall report my findings.
BINGO - that's what has me so confused.

Kev
Old 18th August 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XR1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XB12
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Adrenalinmoto is on a distinguished roadAdrenalinmoto is on a distinguished roadAdrenalinmoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Do you feel that the XR1200 is running hot or surging at a steady cruising speed? Are you getting the XiEDs to address a specific problem that the bike has, or are you hoping for a 'general' improvement?

The more before and after data we can collect, the better chance of some sort of pattern emerging.

The XR runs HOT, HOT, HOT, and certainly hotter than I remember my last Sportster running. Even accounting for the lack of miles it is still very hot (especially when you consider it has a cooler fitted as standard AND has oil cooled heads). I am hoping for a reduction in temperature along with better throttle response from lower revs.
Stock throttle response isn't bad (nowehere near as bad a Buell) but with a modifed airbox and filter plus more efficient pipe I am hoping to sort out the closed loop phase without the need for wide band O2 sensors etc. That way I can concentrate on sorting the open loop portion with a tuner such as TFi or PCIII. I think the XR will need both eventually simply because it will spend much more of its time in open loop mode given the 7K redline.

Experience with various fuel tuners on Buells over the years has always left me disapointed with the closed loop running even when the rest of the range has been 100% spot on. This is especially so with aftermaket exhausts/airboxes. The advantage of the IED's is that you can use them as a stand alone fix on stock (ish) bikes or as part of an overall solution on more modified machines.
Old 18th August 2008

Quote:
The XR runs HOT, HOT, HOT, and certainly hotter than I remember my last Sportster running. Even accounting for the lack of miles it is still very hot (especially when you consider it has a cooler fitted as standard AND has oil cooled heads). I am hoping for a reduction in temperature along with better throttle response from lower revs.
Stock throttle response isn't bad (nowehere near as bad a Buell) but with a modifed airbox and filter plus more efficient pipe I am hoping to sort out the closed loop phase without the need for wide band O2 sensors etc. That way I can concentrate on sorting the open loop portion with a tuner such as TFi or PCIII. I think the XR will need both eventually simply because it will spend much more of its time in open loop mode given the 7K redline.

Experience with various fuel tuners on Buells over the years has always left me disapointed with the closed loop running even when the rest of the range has been 100% spot on. This is especially so with aftermaket exhausts/airboxes. The advantage of the IED's is that you can use them as a stand alone fix on stock (ish) bikes or as part of an overall solution on more modified machines.
The oil-cooled heads will make the oil hotter as the oil is being used to gain and transport away the heat that the heads are losing.

Would you go for the PCIII with the O2 eliminators, then that would sort out your open and closed loop tuning in one go.
Know Thy Hog