The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Figure Machine
Ironworks Magazine
Licks Holiday

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2006
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

gronk62 has disabled reputation
Default I need new rear wheel bearings at 34,000km

I couldn't believe it today when I pulled my rear wheel off to fit a new tyre and I checked my wheel bearings only to find they felt a teensy bit "rough".

I assume this means they gotta be replaced but damn! I've only travelled 34,000 km (21,000miles).
I thought these new sealed bearings are supposed to last around 100,000km (60,000miles)
Whats up with that????

Anyway I rang the dealer and was quoted $78 EACH and that doesn't include fitting.

I tried to match them up at a cuppla local bearing shops and was told they aren't available and must be a special HD part

So I won't be buyin' them down here in OZ!
I'll hafta find a dealer in the USA who'll sell 'em to me coz I assume they'll be about a third the price over there.

I assume the old ones can be removed without a special HD tool. I was gunna get a local engineering shop to do it as my "local" dealership is over an hours drive away.
Old 29th May 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

I would have them checked, but it don't sound right.

Unless you do a lot of dirt road riding.
Old 29th May 2006
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune
I would have them checked, but it don't sound right.

Unless you do a lot of dirt road riding.
No dirt riding except for my driveway.
They are sealed anyway.
Old 29th May 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

We're gettin a lot more mileage than that on the Twinkies up here... I think we've only replaced a couple of sets... and they were on high mileage dressers

and our roads are probably about as bad as they get...

Might be worth gettin ya local engineering shop to give an opinion on 'em
Old 29th May 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to behold

Is there a number on the bearings?

Can you measure them?

I'm sure the bearings are out there somewhere.

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th May 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

They're a special size .... made for HD...

Not unusual a lot of different manufacturers do it...

Although I am testing a sealed bearing to fit earlier style wheels with the Timkins....

It apears to be holding up well at the moment
Old 29th May 2006
Custom Bike Builder

toe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to beholdtoe is a splendid one to behold

A 2004 still had the 3/4" axle.

So the inner diameter could also be 19mm. With a number and/or measurement you may find them.............

Check www.mcmaster.com to see if they might list them
Old 29th May 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Found some on ebay..........

# 4644441250

3/4" ID
21mm wide
52mm OD

BTW, don't know anything about seller good or bad............
Old 29th May 2006
mostly harmless.. (sssm)

Thanks for the replies

These are the numbers and letters stamped on the bearings..

T 12 04

INA 45

F - 390598

H-D 9267 <-- this is the listed HD part # at the dealership

I haven't got very good verniers (crappy plastic ones ) but these are the measurements I got. It was a little hard to measure the width.

3/4" or 19mm ID

52mm OD

"About" 20 - 21 mm wide.

So it looks like the ones you found on ebay, Toe, are the right ones.

I've already sent an email to H&M HD asking if they have the OE ones in stock and how much they cost. If they are a reasonable price I'll go with them but if not I'll follow up those on ebay.

I got close to 100,000 km on my first Sporty before I sold it and it was fitted with the older style tapered roller bearings which I'd inspect and repack with grease every rear tyre change.
Those bearings where still in good condition and I would expect at least that much milage outa these new fangled ones.

Last edited by gronk62; 29th May 2006 at 10:13..
Old 29th May 2006
Custom Bike Builder

If you can get them cheap, you might want to consider 2-sets.......... (front tire)
Know Thy Hog