The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Paying Taxes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Paying Taxes Got questions, tips or advice???

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Zippers Performance
Sky Smith Insurance
Figure Machine
Superbrace

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Don't forget your hose clamp for the Tax collector

Well I waited long enough, one week to be exact, before spending the evening in the garage to turn some wrenches on my new bike. I did the basic update with SE II slash cut slip-ons, SE-A/C, 185 main, 45 slow jet and idle mixture screw access. All-in-all it was an easy job and I learned a few things:
  1. If you plan to remove the carb for the first time, stop by an auto parts store and pick up a small hose clamp before you start. Nothing worse than having to leave a job to go get a part. Ask me how I know.
  2. The SE IIs may "slip-on" but the stock mufflers don't easily slip off! I eventually rotated the mufflers 90 deg counter clockwise (from the end view), disconnected the down pipe from the head, bolted the muffler back in place, and worked the pipe free.
  3. If you have an engine mounted horn, removing it will give a bit more slack with the enricher cable. This to help you get to the blasted nut that attaches the assembly to the carb. And rotating the carb with the inlet facing the ceiling will allow a wrench access from the bottom.
  4. RTFM on throttle cable adjustment. I was surprised how much difference turning the wheel lock to lock can make.
  5. Lastly, if you were a teenager when the first Star Wars movie was released, and you now spend your days at a desk, you might be amazed at the number of muscles that will ache the next day.
After 25 miles around the countryside, I'd have to say it was all well worth it. Great HD sound, smooth and powerful acceleration, and no popping through the carb. I'm lovin life!

Taxes Paid, hmmm what's next?

Last edited by 4-pac; 4th June 2006 at 16:59..
Old 16th June 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road4-pac is on a distinguished road

After a few days with the 185 main jet, it was apparent the bike was running too rich. The exhaust note was just not consistently smooth under a light load. Kinda like the sound you'd get going downhill backed off the throttle. So last Friday it was back to the 180 main jet. 250 miles over the weekend and I could tell it was a step in the right direction.

Fast forward another week. I decided to go down to a 175 main jet tonight and took her out for a 20 mile spin around the country. Seems to have smoothed out a bit more on the low load cruise. Next step, I think I'll try the recommended needle shims to work on the acceleration. Who knows, maybe a 170...

Totally OT. I've said it before: the folks at my dealer of choice, Smoky Mountain HD ROCK! I called up Eddie in parts to ask him about the 175 MJ. He went to check stock, came back and said they were out. Then he offered to go over to the dyno tune shop and rummage for one. After a few minutes on hold, he came back with a winner.

[URL="http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=254258"]'06 Sportster 1200C w '07 EFI Conversion[/URL], SuperTrapp 2:2 exhaust and SE A/C

[URL="http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=1494819#post1494819"]Click here for a review[/URL] of my $30 LoJack and GPS tracking powered by [URL="http://www.instamapper.com"]InstaMapper.com[/URL]

[inwindow=350]www.instamapper.com/ext?key=1009428850281076753&width=500&height=300&zoom=13&units=imperial&coords=d[/inwindow]
Old 3rd July 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-pac
  1. If you plan to remove the carb for the first time...
  2. The SE IIs may "slip-on" but the stock mufflers don't easily slip off! ...
I drilled the mixture plug and did the lower carb work with the carb still attached and it was a piece of cake. Unless you're working on the upper carb, I don't see any reason to remove the carb, but that's my preference. Definitely replace those bowl screws with hex heads. I read here that 4mm x 16 was the recommended size, but I had to cut down two of them to keep them from scoring the carb body as they exited through the bowl.

For removing the stock mufflers, spray the joint with some WD40 and let it soak in. Then they'll REALLY slip off.

67 XL Forum members -- people just like you (only now a little skinnier) -- have joined and
pledged to lose over 2,400 pounds. We've lost over 459 pounds so far!

2 people have already achieved their goals!

Check out our progress on the Weight Loss Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm). You can join at any time by sending me a PM.

Check out my Sportster photo gallery (http://gallery.mac.com/dagruber#100025&view=carouseljs&sel=0)!