The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Rubber Mount Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2004-2006) This area is to discuss issues, problems and anything else unique to the 2004 and above Sportster motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Dead Creek Cycles
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Ironworks Magazine

Speedway Instruments

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough
Default Trailering your sporty..

Okay, I know, "ride the sucker"...but, I'm thinking ahead...to when the snow falls again....and I want to load the beast on a trailer...and head south.
I do have a trailer that should do the job....how best to tie the bike down?
What do you use for a trailer?
Old 5th June 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
Other Motorcycle Model: Custom Shovelhead Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1971
H@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura aboutH@mbone! has a spectacular aura about

Well I have been useing what looks like a utility trailer but hinges up. But I have my wife get on it and push the front forks down and I wrap a couple rachet straps around the handle bars and pull on them till there tight and rachet a way keeping both sides of the bike even. I strap the other end of the straps to the front of the trailer one at each corner. I usually try to get the forks as down as far as I can get them stopping at the bottom triple trees if I can. Then I run a strap thew the rear wheel from one side of the trailer to the other putting a little pull to the front of the trailer then strapping it down. Thats the best way I have found to hold my bike down.
Old 5th June 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Vegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to all

You want to chock the wheels if you can. A good bump can slide the wheel sideways and then you are in trouble. DO NOT compress the forks all the way. Too much compression over a long period of time will blow your seals. Try to get ratchet straps across the front and back at a 45 degree angle. Do not strap to the handle bars. They aren't designed for that stress. Do not cover the bike. Any dirt on the cover or bike will scratch the paint.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Picture123.jpg
Old 5th June 2006
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna WideGlide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
OldFenderGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I use one of the "Bike-Grabs", that are heavy duty steel, and by themselves will hold your bike in place.

Has a quick disconnect trailer mount, so it only takes about 30 seconds to put in a trailer for trailering a bike, or to use it on it's own to hold the bike level for general maintenance, etc. (See below picture)

To trailer a bike, just ride the bike into the chock, which holds it upright and level. Couple of straps and you are good to go.

1981 "Sturgis" Shovelhead (Semi Retired)
1949 Panhead Custom Chopper (More Than Semi Retired)[/i]
Old 5th June 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250C originally
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
mikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant futuremikeLI_77 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamden
Well I have been useing what looks like a utility trailer but hinges up. But I have my wife get on it and push the front forks down and I wrap a couple rachet straps around the handle bars and pull on them till there tight and rachet a way keeping both sides of the bike even. I strap the other end of the straps to the front of the trailer one at each corner. I usually try to get the forks as down as far as I can get them stopping at the bottom triple trees if I can. Then I run a strap thew the rear wheel from one side of the trailer to the other putting a little pull to the front of the trailer then strapping it down. Thats the best way I have found to hold my bike down.
The above way is good, just a few add ons or alternatives to it. If you have a solid rear wheel you could put a strap between the tank and seat on the frame of the bike, you just don't want to angle them to far back so the strap is rubbing against the battery cover and oil tank. That's how I strapped mine down once and it worked fine. Put some rags between the strap and whatever area you attach the straps down. If you have a spoked rear wheel try and put the strap on the rim itself and try not to let the strap pull on the spokes when you strap it down. If you use brand new straps check them after a few miles of towing it because new straps may stretch a bit and you don't want them to get too loose.

Hammer 1250 kit W/ 30░ reverse dome pistons
Hammer billet 2" forward offset open air cleaner
Hammer billet intake manifold
Hammer Impact 560's
Buell xb heads with crush level head porting
Mikuni HSR 45
177.5 main
25 slow
Clip 4th slot from top
Jim's powerglide II lifters
Sledge hammer pushrods
Supertrapp supermeg exhaust 20 disks and open end cap.
S&S roller rockers
Alto Carbonite clutch with Energy One 15% heavier spring plate.
Daytona twin tech single fire ignition 1005s
Ricor intimnators
13" Ricor IAS shocks
Brembo dual disk setup from a 2012 street glide with matching brembo street glide master cylinder
Koso T&T multi function speedo/tach

Know Thy Hog

Old 5th June 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 04R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Snuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the roughSnuffy is a jewel in the rough

Use a Pingle front chock on mine, compress the front shocks about 1/3 and rachet to keep bike plumb or straight up and down. I stap at the top of the tree on a 45 degree angle and a strap through the front wheel, just enough tension to keep bike from shifting. Do not leave bike in gear. I also strap each back shock on a 45 degree with the straps pulling forward towards the tongue of the trailer. I put a tension on the back shocks. Do not compress front forks or back shocks to their limit just enough on the back like you were sitting on it. Trailered mine from Tennessee to Texas with no problems. one more thing remember to secure the loose end of the tie down. don't want them flopping in the breeze and smacking your scooter. Put the rachet as close to the floor as possible
Old 5th June 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I use one of the "Bike-Grabs", that are heavy duty steel, and by themselves will hold your bike in place.

OFG - Where did you grab this bad boy?????

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 5th June 2006
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna WideGlide
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
OldFenderGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
OFG - Where did you grab this bad boy?????
I found out about them from some guys I know that used them while at Bike Shows.

They are great, both for trailering and also for doing regular work on your bike when you want it to be sitting level.

They are adjustable and work on front or rear wheels from 80mm to 210mm.

Here is more information and a review by webBikeWorld;

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock/

More information from a firm that sells them;

http://www.lockitt.com/BikeStands1.htm
Old 6th June 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Wheel Chock!!!! Trust me. I was driving on an unfamiliar road this weekend, 60 mph in the middle of nowhere following a jacked up SUV. SUV hit the railroad tracks at 60, I hit the brakes and by the time the trailer hit the tracks I was still doing 35... bounce... my heart sunk faster than the bike dropped when I saw the headlight disappear from my rearview mirror.
One of the straps pulled the front end sideways over the bump.
I won't be trailering again without a Wheel Chock!!!
Old 6th June 2006
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C Black & Silver
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Mr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of lightMr Jimi is a glorious beacon of light

All real good suggestions! I agree with all of them and I always use 4 ratcheting straps and at 45 degree angles and it will stay where ya put it. Don't forget a stone shield of some sort to keep rocks and dirt from hitting your bike, kinda like a wind deflector? Then what are ya gonna do at a motel? Bike thieves love bikes already on trailers Here is a picture of the way we carry ours?

Its our camper also
Jim
Making a F-550 Pick Up Thread
We are not near but we are close !
Amanda Overmyer Rocks !!
Dear Eliot
Eye Xray Here
Know Thy Hog