The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Fix My Hog
Licks Cycles
Licks Holiday
RYCA Motors

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default left rear turn signal replacement

I need to replace the left rear turn signal assembly on a 01 hugger. Any suggestions or directions on the best way of to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Allen
Old 12th June 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Vegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to allVegas1200C is a name known to all

Not sure about the 01 but the newer bikes have the electrical connection inside the tail light. Pull the cover off the taillight. Disconnect the little plug. Mine wouldn't fit through the strut so the plug had to be disasembled.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Picture123.jpg
Old 12th June 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info.
Old 29th September 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Dave downunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help too.

I also need to replace my left hand back turn signal. I've got the factory workshop manual but cannot see any instruction for how to do this. I understand that I need to remove the end connector plug to get the cable through the fender. What I cannot work out is the clip inside the fender, next to the turn signal arm bolt, that the cable is under. It's really in their tight. How is this clip retained to the fender? Do I use force to get the old cable out and new back in?

Next challenge will be getting the new cable cable ends into the terminal connection. I have new pins ready to go.

Thanks in advance. Dave.
Old 29th September 2006
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

The metal clips on the inside veritcal edges of the fender are pop riveted on. You should be able to bend them up a bit to get the wires loose.

Gazza
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th September 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Dave downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gazza, I wish the workshop manual showed the removal and install of these things.

Have a top week-end, Dave 2001 XLH1200
Old 8th August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 standard
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Bedrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats it, so no one really knows how to get the assem off?
Old 8th August 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 1200s
derailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to allderailedbus is a name known to all

Nope. Nobody's ever replaced their signals on here. As stated above, plug is in brakelight housing. Biggest problem I had was getting the pins out of the harness, but it's a cinch after watching someone who knows what they were doing do it. Nut on stud inside fender holds stem and signal housing on.