The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Burly
DK Customs
883 Sportster
Lowbrow Customs

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CR450F
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
poe400 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drag bars or not? Pros and cons?

Been thinking about drag bars.....What do you think it would look like on here? What do I do for a speedo?[IMG][/IMG]
Old 3rd September 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1986
Jackster has disabled reputation

They're cool, but uncomfortable for me, personally. I bought some 8" risers, though, and trimmed about 4" off of the middle of the drag bar, and now the position is totally comfortable. That really matters to me, 'cause I ride 70 miles a day.
Old 4th September 2008
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: BSA Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha xs750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
t.c. Johnson has disabled reputation

Same here. Put them on and loved the look - couldn't take the ride.
Old 4th September 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
dave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of lightdave76 is a glorious beacon of light

This is all a matter of opinion, because what one person is comfortable with the next may not be. You should really try them out on someone else's bike before going through all the trouble and money. My buddy Mike put them on his and after a month put the stock bars back on his superglide.

1990 1200 Sportster, Cycle Shack drag pipes, V-Twin billet 3" extended forward controls, Zippers Billet 4 speed trap door.Update, 86 1100 heads, NRHS 1250 cylinders, Andrews V4 cams, and Compufire Elite 1 ignition. 07 Buell oil pump, Complete Andrews 4 Speed gears and shafts, Barnett Scorpion clutch. HHI 3' mid glide trees. HHI 6 piston front caliper, H-D floating rotor.
Old 4th September 2008
Pats fight back Z's dead.

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

i dig the lean forward pos. it is easier on my back and gives me more room. you do have to "reach over" to get to the clutch and brake tho. btw i use a broom stick made of aluminum 34'' wide.

Old 4th September 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Estrella
calfunk will become famous soon enoughcalfunk will become famous soon enoughcalfunk will become famous soon enoughcalfunk will become famous soon enoughcalfunk will become famous soon enoughcalfunk will become famous soon enough

I had a dragbar, it certainly looks cool but the handling is pain in the a. It gave me shoulder pain for only 15 mins of rides. And Ireeman is right about the clutch and brake, you will feel the clutch heavier than before. Also, it makes the rear passenger feel insecure as you have to bend down towards the tank and the space between you and your passenger is more than normal.

So it's all about your riding style. If you are looking for cornering at high speed and won't do much long distance, go for the drag bar.

If you ride two-up and long distance a lot, DON"T go for the drag bar!
Old 4th September 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
perdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the roughperdiehm is a jewel in the rough

I have a drag bar with stock risers on my bike and wouldnt trade them for the world.
My wife has a drag bar with 4" pullbacks and she loves them.
My buddy has drags with 4" risers and likes them.
All depends on what feels right to you. Mine cost me $30 I figured if I didn't like them they wearnt nery expencive I could change them back. Thank god I loved them. Because they sure do look good.
2006 XL883C Orange, Black, and Chrome 26" drag bars, C&C Custom Leather 2up Seat, HD Forward Controls Mikuni HSR42, Ness Big Sucker, VH's Short Shots wrapped, HD 2up Lowered Shocks, HD Lowered Front Springs/Dampers Lots of Blacked out Parts need more
Old 4th September 2008
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
jpenney is on a distinguished roadjpenney is on a distinguished roadjpenney is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty short (5'5") and drag bars can be a little bit of a reach for me. My previous bike had drag bars pointing down, a hack for a clubman look, but I moved to "super bike" bars and haven't been back. I recently bought the superbars from Lick's and put them on my Sportster.

I do not like the look of taller risers. I also do not like T-bars as they give the same visual effect. I like the "rise" of the bike to stop just above the triple tree.

Here are the super bike bars:

Old 4th September 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883H'97
samppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of lightsamppa is a glorious beacon of light

I personally like drag bars and I've usually been quite comfortable with them, I like that forward lean position (I've had drag bars on sporty, dyna and softail). But as others have said, how comfortable they are depends on your size and of course your preferences.

I'd propably put them on 4" straigth risers but I'm not familiar w/ 2007 riser/speedo bracket so I'm not sure if that's applicable.
Old 4th September 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: custom 1200
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CR450F
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
poe400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Thanks for all the responses last night. You guys (and Gals) ROCK ! Now, I'm pretty sure that I'll leave the stockers on.....Im only 5' 7 and the reach could be more than I want......And the speedo? What do people do about a speedo with aftmkt risers?
Know Thy Hog