The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
Lickscycles
Ironworks Magazine

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough
Default Opinions on Aftermarket Air Cleaners and Head filtration

I am exploring the aftermaket for an air cleaner for my 91 Sporty. I am thinking about the one that looks like an S&S style teardrop style.

anyone with one of these please give me an opinion.

question 2 , Which is the best type of head breather setup.

I see Horse Shoe styles but hear about moisture getting trapped in them.

I see the ones with the little air filter hung under the air cleaner, wont that just start dripping after awhile.

I see the canister style that hang down on each end? Any one with these style and how do they work on like 200-500 mile rides?

I am looking for the best way to avoid streaks on the side of my bike and pants leg on long distance rides from my stock setup ( yes I do ride long distances on a Sporty ) .

Please give a guy some advice so its a one time purchase and install.

thanks in advance.
Old 4th September 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

I have one of the ones that hang below the carb and never get any seepage from it. But you can always run a hose down under the bike so that any seepage would just hit the road. I know others have done this and didn't even put a filter on it. they said the hose is long enough that you wont get any dirt sucked up into the motor.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 5th September 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
gearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura about

I love mine, it's a J&P knock off. I then got a 3 inch wide K&N for it and built some stand offs for it.
forgot to add i use a horseshoe breather the drops down to behind the motor, crosses over by the swing arm pivot then under the swing arm to atmosphere

03 Vivid Black 883/1250, with 04 1200r/XB heads, Andrews N4 cams, Hurricane push rods.040 shorter than stock. Dyna 2000i ignition, Screaming Eagle ignition coil and wires. V&H Straight Shots, Generic tear drop with 3in wide K&N filter, 48 slow, 175 main, NOKH needle shimmed .043. Progressive front springs, 412 rear shocks. ♠ 79.5 HP, 77.96 TQ ♠ ~Kevin~

Last edited by gearhead1972; 5th September 2008 at 01:27..
Old 6th September 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
ron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really nice

I also have a 91 883. I purchased a used Dragtron II, which has a good style, and a pretty large filter element. I am somewhat disappointed in how it sticks out to the right side. Still, it doesn't protrude as far as the teardrop shown in the photos of Gearhead's bike, so I suppose I should be thankful.

I'm wondering if a Hurricane filter sticks out so far, and if not, perhaps I'll sell the Dragtron II and go for one of those.
Old 6th September 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
gearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura about

Mine sticks out that far on purpose, I added a 3in wide filter to get more air. It was originally a 2in filter. The difference is the same as the standard hurricane and the 3in wide hurricane that NHRS makes.
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th September 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1997
robzuc97 is on a distinguished roadrobzuc97 is on a distinguished road
Default To answer your question?

"I am exploring the aftermaket for an air cleaner for my 91 Sporty. I am thinking about the one that looks like an S&S style teardrop style."
-as long as it promotes open airflow, yes. One thing to keep in mind: I have to cover mine up (stored outside :-( ) from the rain because it will saturate my ac filter. It doesn't fill the engine with water but it does cause oil in my breather to "gel" white like chloresterol (sic). I use the SE on both my bikes which use the existing cover=less cost.

"question 2 , Which is the best type of head breather setup."
I use the SE. Fitment may be an issue, though. I had to "adapt" my Sportster AC backplate but the FLSTC's went right on.

"I see Horse Shoe styles but hear about moisture getting trapped in them."
Talking about the Kurykurin (whatever) baffle-type? Had one on my Dyna and worked rather well performance-wise. Looked cool but pricey.

"I see the ones with the little air filter hung under the air cleaner, wont that just start dripping after awhile." Not if your carb is "tuned" to the intake-to-exhaust ratio correctly. Look for my future thread "Hey, Carb Farts!" unless I patent this so you all can buy it from me. No oil in my filters! Basically, it makes your stock CV carb perform like a Thunderjet should. Although remote filter would keep heated exhaust out of my intake (meaning more air & gas mix) I haven't got around to that fix yet.

"I see the canister style that hang down on each end? Any one with these style and how do they work on like 200-500 mile rides?" Again style doesn't matter, airflow does. An engine is just a big air pump=in verses out (and the torque it produces, of course).

"I am looking for the best way to avoid streaks on the side of my bike and pants leg on long distance rides from my stock setup ( yes I do ride long distances on a Sporty )" Again see my "new" thread (if I can get it to post as a "greasemonkey") "Hey, Carb Farts!". Gonna go post it now(?).