The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
NRHS Performance Long 2
NHRS Performance
CV Performance
CV Performance

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xls 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
RcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura aboutRcRacer has a spectacular aura about
Default Fixed the clunky front caliper noise ....

Thanks to a few posts I found in these forums, I tried a solution based the posts. After a week of commuting to work, I can tell you - It works!

Ever since I put the bike together from a frame off rebuild, I have had a very audible clunk in the front calipers as I grab the front brake lever. When I grab the brake very lightly, sometimes it would rattle and then stop as I put more pressure on the brake. The first time I heard it, it scare dthe $h1t out of me but eventually I discovered where the noise was coming from and could even see the caliper movement and the corresponding "clunk" when I rocked the bike at a stop light.

Here's what I did. I removed the calipers and checked the bolts and lower fork bushings. The bolts were slightly worn but the bushings were fine. The holes in th calipers had a little more play than the bushings and probably contibute to most of the movement of the caliper. I installed the calipers with new bolts but I added a small piece of weather stripping between fork and the caliper at the top bolt. ( Glued to the fork ) There is just enough pressure there to dampen the movement but it is still free to move as designed.

The result is quite front brakes! Hopefully, if any of you have the same problem, you can use this simple fix to reduce the noise from the caliper.
Old 5th September 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Yup done that to both frt and rear Calipers on my 81 Just have to replace the stripping every once and a while after it packs down abit.
Old 5th September 2008
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

part number 44125-82, foam tape, used on 1982, 1983 XL, XLS, XLX