The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Cruiser Customizing  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle
BIKE BUILDER
Foxcreek Leather

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
corzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drive belt

Hi there, just busted my drive belt on my 03 sporty, have 32000 miles on her so probably just wear, as i dont drive too hard, just alot (9000+miles this season) ordered from the local yamaha dealer as i cant stand the HD dealer, 175 sounds to be around normal.
before i get started as ive never changed one, is there anything i need to consider before starting????
cant find any threads with advise on changing the belt?
any info is much appreciated
thanks
Corzy
Old 6th September 2008
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by corzy View Post
Hi there, just busted my drive belt on my 03 sporty, have 32000 miles on her so probably just wear, as i dont drive too hard, just alot (9000+miles this season) ordered from the local yamaha dealer as i cant stand the HD dealer, 175 sounds to be around normal.
before i get started as ive never changed one, is there anything i need to consider before starting????
cant find any threads with advise on changing the belt?
any info is much appreciated
thanks
Corzy
YES! Get the manual !!

Then do a search on here, Theres a ton of info about the belts and breakage. If you don't adjust it right you can expect another break ! There quite Fininky !! Other than the adjustment the replacemnet is straight forward !
Use the search at the bottom of the page !!
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 6th September 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice66impala is just really nice

Ditto, get a manual. Buy a belt tension gauge, and make up the tool to measure from your axle bolt to the swing arm bolt ( I bought a 2ft length of steel rod at home depot to make the tool). I changed my belt while on vacation in the motels parking lot, I made it home and properly adjusted to specs. Mine broke at 17k and right after having tires changed, my 12yr old son and I were on a road trip and we were loaded up good also.

The HD belt was 205.00 last year from the dealer.
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Arial"][/FONT][FONT="Fixedsys"][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]2004 883 custom, softail heritage handlebars, spoked dyna rear wheel, 1200c stock rear pulley, softail deluxe rear lights, dyna 10row oil cooler, shovelhead hard saddlebags with roadking air shocks. A few splashes of bling here and there.

My Gallery: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"][URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447"]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2447[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
Old 6th September 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Year: 03
corzy is an unknown quantity at this point

ya i have the manual, where could i get and how much would a belt tension gauge be? thanks for the tips, will get started once the part gets here
Old 6th September 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 2001 883 Custom
Desertfox has disabled reputation

Mine is an '01 with the original belt still on it. Haven't had any issues with it yet(knock on wood). Although the new belts have a service life rated "indefinate", that does not take into consideration someone deliberately trying to break one . As for changing it? I would definately hand that over to a professional. Although they are tough they will not tolerate misalignment. You can shred one quite easily by getting the alignment out a nothingth of an inch. Unless you have some specialized equipment and know what the hell you are doing you will be spending another $200.00 on a belt very soon. The $75.00 to $100.00 you would pay a professional to do it could seem cheap by comparison.

Old 6th September 2008
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

you can use a wire hanger to make the alignment tool,, Very simple, I used a Zip Tie instead of an "O" ring and it's worked for me.

The belt tension gauge should only be about 10-15 bucks at the dealership.

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 6th September 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the manual, just follow that to change the belt. It isn't too difficult.
'The green machine'
Old 6th September 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 1997
robzuc97 is on a distinguished roadrobzuc97 is on a distinguished road

These aren't step-by-step procedures but a few tidbits: Using service manual check for proper direction of the belt before installation (look it up). The belt can be installed over the swing arm by removing the lower shock blot and swinging up but try not to excessively twist, bend, or abuse it too much. A quick tension check is to twist the belt gently; it should go no further the 1/4 twist and will be at proper tension if you don't want to buy the tool. Check the pulleys for any damage (rock could've got up there). Any distortion of the drive or esp. the rear pulley=replace or you'll keep breaking belts from accelerated wear. Follow vehicle alignment procedure carefully, check & double check esp. the adjuster screws. There is a 1/32th inch tolerance for axle alignment. Use a torque wrench on all fasteners. The belt may be replaced without removing the tire but needs raised to adjust belt and remove lower shock bolt. Follow the manual verbatim! and take your time to do it right. And the biggy: if you screw up, it will have "catastrophic results". And have fun! I lost mine on the side of the road at 12K (rock?) and had to change it there!
Old 7th September 2008
Known Troublemaker !

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by corzy View Post
ya i have the manual, where could i get and how much would a belt tension gauge be? thanks for the tips, will get started once the part gets here
$22.00 At the stealers !!
Old 7th September 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is:

(clickety click)
Know Thy Hog