The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
patc, Camera108 (61), pbudrovic (59), gene04 (57), guvnor (50), jrogers329 (44), ksoggs (39), dmurphy68 (37)
Motor Stage
BIKE BUILDER
Ironworks Magazine
Motor Stage

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2006
Biker

SuaveRider has disabled reputation
Default Clicking noise from drive pulley!

Hello,
I'm getting a clicking sound from my secondary belt. Sounds and looks like the teeth on my belt are clicking into / out of the rear pulley. The tighter the belt is, the louder it gets. You can see the belt ride slightly on top of the teeth until they finally click into position. I've messed with the axle adjusters but can't seem to get the noise to stop. This is a brand new BDL belt.

Anyone have suggestions for me? Should the belt make noises? Will it wear in? Also, I just noticed a slight play in my front pulley. I can just barely get it to move in and out by maybe 1/64". Is this normal or should it be so tight as to not get any movement at all? If so, could this have something to do with my noise? I was going to try to make sure the front pulley nut was as tight as possible but really don't have the tools to budge it.

All help appreciated
Thanks
Old 21st June 2006
Biker

SuaveRider has disabled reputation

Nothing? Bueller, Bueller?
Old 21st June 2006
US NAVY Vet, ADR2

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Other Motorcycle Model: FXD SuperGlide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
FSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the rough

Is this the original belt? Has anything been changed. I've never heard of this problem, but it doesn't sound normal.

US NAVY Vet, ADR2
Old 26th June 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 XL 1200 Custom
canroc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveRider
Hello,
I'm getting a clicking sound from my secondary belt. Sounds and looks like the teeth on my belt are clicking into / out of the rear pulley. The tighter the belt is, the louder it gets. You can see the belt ride slightly on top of the teeth until they finally click into position. I've messed with the axle adjusters but can't seem to get the noise to stop. This is a brand new BDL belt.

Anyone have suggestions for me? Should the belt make noises? Will it wear in? Also, I just noticed a slight play in my front pulley. I can just barely get it to move in and out by maybe 1/64". Is this normal or should it be so tight as to not get any movement at all? If so, could this have something to do with my noise? I was going to try to make sure the front pulley nut was as tight as possible but really don't have the tools to budge it.

All help appreciated
Thanks
Did you get this resolved? I'm hearing the same thing now when I push the bike while it is in neutral and not running.
Old 26th June 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Could be lots of things. I don't know what year your bike is, but I see you have a BDL belt. Why did you install the BDL belt? What happened to the old belt? Miles on vehicle? Visual condition of the pulleys? Are you sure you have the correct pitch belt from BDL (part number)?

Also, on the front pulley - it will move in and out a LITTLE bit. If the nut is tight (not sure what year again) then the pulley is not likely to be loose. Need more information to be able to help you more.

--Chris
Know Thy Hog