The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
Biltwell
Lowbrow Customs
RYCA Motors
Bison Motorsports

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough
Default slipping clutch

my clutch is slipping so badly that i cant get any acceleration at any rpm over 2500, but i have adjusted the clutch both ways to no avail. Is there anything left i can try besides changing the plates?

62 XLCH
Old 20th February 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

pull the plates and rough them up with some fine grit sandpaper (the fiber ones) then clean the steel ones up and replace and readjust

old sporty plates glaze up kinda quick and you need to brake the glaze off them

I have two sets of plates , one spare that I deglaze and store and the one in the bike (speeds up changes, cause I can clean the old plates at will)

or try some kevlar plates (I know you don't want to replace them but kevlar lasts)
thank god for darwin
Old 15th July 2005
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Chris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura about

yeah, having the same problem... starts to slip about 2500rpm. Thx flathead, may have to try that!