The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Superbrace.com
NRHS Performance Long 2

Burly

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Chopped XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Road King Classic
wagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the rough
Default new drag pipes with Krome Werks HP Plus baffles installed

Removed my SEII's today (20,000 miles on em) just for a change.

Put on slashcut drag pipes, wrapped in header tape, everything painted with VHT 2000 degree paint in black.

Installed torque cones and also Krome Werks HP Plus baffles.

It is signifcantly louder than the SEII's. Like 1/2 again as loud. But...it is deeper and less "chainsaw" sounding. I kind of like it. Plus I can still loaf around in fairly quiet mode.

All the wrap and paint was smoking at every stoplight, what a sight to see. Heh. I think it should be all cured now.

Stock being a 1 and SEII's being a 5, these things are least a 7 or 8, with open drags being an 11.
Old 24th June 2006
Greasemonkey

Other Motorcycle Model: Harley softail springer
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
raven28690 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im running open 1 3/4 drags on my sporty and i dont know if its just me or not but they are not overly loud. mind you they are louder than the SEII's i was running but so far i havent had anyone complain. not even a second look from a town police sitting beside the road clocking speeders on my way to work this morning.
i was going to install the khrome werks in mine but being no louder than it is now, i will run them open.
Old 25th June 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Chopped XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1967
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Road King Classic
wagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the roughwagoneer12 is a jewel in the rough

I never ran them open, but with these KromeWerks they are pretty loud (to me)

I am wondering what it might be like to find a couple small 2" mufflers and cut some drag pipe off and put the mufflers on.

It is really only loud when I twist it. But I like to twist it alot. I get up near 4500-5500 rpms often (no tach, just a guess)
Old 25th June 2006
Greasemonkey

Other Motorcycle Model: Harley softail springer
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
raven28690 is an unknown quantity at this point

that could be the difference then. I really dont get on my bike real hard with the revs so that may be keeping the noise levels down.
most of the bikes in my area that are running 2" and bigger diameter pipes sound louder than mine to me anyhow.

from what i have been told, the khrome werks are suppose to give the pipes a better rumble but i have never heard a set in person.

Jc whitney had a couple of 2" mufflers for a pretty decent price the last time i looked at one of their bike catalogs.
Old 25th June 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
opiewontaylor has disabled reputation

I run 2 inch drags, and they are (to me) just insanely loud without the hp baffles. With the baffles, I get the rumble without the bark. The guys I work with tell me that it sounds like a BT going down the road. (not sure if that's a compliment
Know Thy Hog

Old 25th June 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
engine has disabled reputation

a larger diameter pipe will always be louder. I think my cousin's baffled Straight Shots are louder than my 1-3/4 drags.

Festoonery galore
Old 26th June 2006
Greasemonkey

98_1200C has disabled reputation

my 1200 is loud with straight 1 3/4 drags. get alot of compliments