The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
Figure Machine
NHRS Performance

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2010
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
thanks, on every manual, even in the Clymer, they say to remove pushrods and tappets
They don't say that in the FSM; another example of the FSM being better than one of these third party manuals.
'The green machine'
Old 20th August 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

what is FSM ? clymer has normally a great reputation, i have used it for years, it is quite good usually.
thanks
1986 frame - 1997 1200 engine stage 1.5 - N2 cams- single fire Accel - Crane hi 4 - big sucker - 23 T sprocket 48 T - Ohlins #3#3 13 1/4 - showa 35 mm Progressive spring - all brake system by Performance Machine second motor 86 4 speed 883conver 10.5 1200 V8 cams 1200 heads - tuned CV cards by killer motorcycle product -
Old 20th August 2010
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Factory service manual. By far the best (as this example proves).
Old 23rd August 2010
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1987
tara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the roughtara is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the info
Old 1st March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent write up!! I used this as a quick reference and did my N4 change out today. Now to put some miles on them!

Air shock information thread
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th March 2011
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 conv 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
fukeles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Turbota wrote one important sentence.

Once all cams are removed, DO NOT rotate the engine. This will make it much easier to install the new cams in there proper position.

Here I made a mistake. My cams was removed and I had move the bike in my garage. Of course, I forgot 5th gear and my engine rotated

Can you please advise me how I can install the cams properly now?

Thanks a lot for every advice

Mark
Old 30th March 2011
JESTER SYNDICATE

Sportster/Buell Model: NRHS Stage II 1250-R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Rico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond reputeRico 05R has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukeles View Post
Hello,

Once all cams are removed, DO NOT rotate the engine. This will make it much easier to install the new cams in there proper position.

Here I made a mistake. My cams was removed and I had move the bike in my garage. Of course, I forgot 5th gear and my engine rotated

Mark
Just line up the timing mark on the pinion gear, to where it is pointed directly at the center of the #2 bushing.

Old 30th March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond reputesteelworker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukeles View Post
Hello,

Mark
It doesn't make it much more difficult. Just rotate the engine until the mark on the pinion gear is pointing to the centre of the bush for the #2 cam (edit: as in Rico's photo above - he beat me to it!), then install the #2 cam to check the mark on it aligns with the mark on the pinion gear (remove the cam and rotate the engine slightly if necessary to align).

Now remove the #2 cam.

Fit the #1 and #3 cams and align the marks on them with the centre of the #2 cam bush. Hold them in place while you reinstall the #2 cam. Check that all marks on cams 1-3 and the pinion gear align. Slide the #2 cam out slightly if necessary to adjust the alignment of cams 1 and 3.

Fit cam #4, aligning the mark with the mark on cam #3.
Old 31st March 2011
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200c
DaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond reputeDaytonaSportster has a reputation beyond repute

While mine did not rotate when installing, just 1/2 my cams came out with the cover. So I just rotated and aligned up no problem.
Old 31st March 2011
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r convert to 1214 SOLD
Other Motorcycle Model: DL650AL2 VStrom
evereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really niceevereyken is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutsey View Post
Just line up the timing mark on the pinion gear, to where it is pointed directly at the center of the #2 bushing.

My cams came out when I removed the cover and I did as Rico described above and everything lined up just right.
[B]SOLD on 4/3/12[/B] - '06 883R with NRHS 1214 conversion using Wiseco 9.5:1 pistons, w cams, TC88A ICM, RevTech FXDX AC, 45/180 jetting, IMS 2.5 turns, Bub/Rinehart 2 into 1, 1200s bars, Progressive front springs w/10wt BelRay, Superbrace, 1200s rear shocks, tach kit, Flyscreen, Jagg oil cooler

Now riding a 2012 Suzuki DL650AL2 "WeeStrom"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Know Thy Hog