The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
collinsb (70), bulldog1200C (56), DrBlond (51), Moonpie (49), mercybeat (44), mogwai (40), Ratster, E.MCCOLLOM (37)
RYCA Motors
Lowbrow Customs
Licks Cycles
Biltwell

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2004
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice
Thumbs up FXSTB 'Night Train' SE Aircleaner Install (pics)

Gotta thank "barry1967" for the idea.

I just removed my 'SE' Air Cleaner from my 04 Sporty and have finished installing a Black Crinkle 98 FXSTB "Night Train" round SE air cleaner assembly.

Parts Used:

Screamin’ Eagle Air Cleaner Kit
Harley-Davidson P/N 29008-90A

Air Cleaner Cover (Black)
Harley-Davidson P/N 29548-98

Air Cleaner Center Screw
Harley-Davidson P/N 29703-00

Crankcase Breather Kit
Drag Specialties P/N 2110-0316 or Harley-Davidson P/N 29281-91T (same item)

Air Cleaner Support Brace
Drag Specialties P/N DS-289062

Carb with the Support Brace and Crankcase Breather Kit attached:

Side view of Support Brace and Crankcase Breather Kit:

With the SE Back Plate attached:
The blue anodized AN fitting is an aircraft part (from my junk box) now used to route crankcase oil fumes to the carb inlet from the Crankcase Breather Kit.

With the SE / K&N Filter installed:

With the Air Cleaner Cover installed:

Just trying to be a little different!
Ron,

Last edited by Turbota; 23rd November 2004 at 20:50..
Old 23rd November 2004

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

Turbota

Nice, I Like it!!!
Old 23rd November 2004
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I still want to know how you keep your bike so damn clean. I can't tell if there is a single spec of dust on it. I can't leave the driveway and keep it that clean.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 23rd November 2004

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDWG
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
pquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant futurepquirk has a brilliant future

That is very cool . I guess with a little imagination none of us are really constrained by the lack of '04+ parts. Just make 'em fit. Nice job. And I still dig the B&S logo.
Old 23rd November 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
crackers is on a distinguished roadcrackers is on a distinguished roadcrackers is on a distinguished road

i like the look
very nice

cheers
crackers
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd November 2004
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
Broncodog is on a distinguished roadBroncodog is on a distinguished road

That really looks good!! Nice clean look to it. Very impressive Mr. Kotter
Orange County Chapter
Old 23rd November 2004
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: 2005 FXD Chopper Blue
barry1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hah, looks familiar. I would compliment you but I think I've seen that before. LOL

Looks nice. I like the part about the fitting for the head gases though.

Damn you take nice pictures.
95 inch and more very soon.

Last edited by barry1967; 23rd November 2004 at 01:31..
Old 23rd November 2004

RedRider has disabled reputation

Dude, that air cleaner install is really nice. Beautiful scoot, by the way. You aren't a professional photographer, are you? My pictures typically come out looking like abstract art...
Old 23rd November 2004
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ron,

That looks real nice. I like what you've done with the blue breather fitting, too bad you can't see it when the cover is on.

I have a concern though, hopefully everyone will say that it doesn't matter though. With the angle of that breather vent tube pointing up, won't you get oil accumulating in the elbow area of the tube? And if it does accumulate will the acumulation cause any problem with the free flow of air in and out of the breather holes?

Like I said I hope I'm worrying about nothing, just figured I bring up the question, before you find out the hard way if it's a problem.

Gary
Old 23rd November 2004

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

Thanks for all the compliments. Again, it was Barry that first came up with this idea. He has some pictures of this setup on his bike. He is welcome to post them to this thread.

Gary may have a good point ... I ground down the end of the aluminum tube at an angle so it would create a slight suction and help pull in crankcase gasses. I am going to keep an eye on it. If it gets too oily in the throat of the carb, I will redesign the tube (I think I still have a couple more of them in the garage). The standard XL 'SE' air cleaner that was on the bike before had 2 rubber tubes that were attached to the end of each breather bolt on the heads. Those tubes were positioned directly into the carb throat. Never really got much oil in there before ..... So, we shall see (maybe my engine is too new to have much crankcase blow-by yet.

BTW, I am in no way a photographer. The camera is a Nikon 5700 digital. I just leave it on 'auto' and click away ... Point and shoot

Ron,

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Know Thy Hog