The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Cadrien, boyett (64), gulp2000a (60), soulshaker (51), eddien (44), sfxtech (36), 61Comet (36), Rix (35)
Foxcreek Leather
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Miked31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Dropped It !!!!!

This is my first post. I'm a long time reader and lurker but tonight I went to get the bike out of the driveway and there is a rather steep drop off at the end of the drive and a truck parked way out from the curb on the other side, maybe 15 feet away. The bottom of the bike and the kick stand scrapes hard off the end of the drive and the back wheel jumps around. I ended up bouncing the front wheel off the side of the truck box. Bent the trucks running boards up and scraped his side with my handle bars, then laid the bike down low side. I managed to jump off, have a look, pick it up, park it and go get the owner. I'm paying for the damage on his vehicle and it's going to cost me on this one. Weird thing is, there is not one single scratch on my 08 Sporty. The rear signal lense popped off and the mirror was loose. Snugged it up, popped the lense cap on and good as new, not even a scratch. The truck looked beat up though. Anyway it was in broad daylight in front of my house and I don't know whats worse, the humiliation or the bill I know is coming. I feel like an idiot, but I'm OK. Whats next for me guy's? I wanted to get back on ride but decided that was enough for now.

Mike
Old 20th September 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Big "E" is an unknown quantity at this point

If thats the worst that every happens then count yourself lucky have heard of alot worse things happen when someone just gets a new bike. just be thankful no one was hurt. and remember always try and keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up....welcome to the forum there are alot of really great folks here and they will help you with whenever they can. know they have always helped me.
Old 20th September 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200XLCR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
SCAGNETTI is on a distinguished roadSCAGNETTI is on a distinguished roadSCAGNETTI is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear of your misfortunes!. .. i grew up and now live again in the northeast, i know it's tough negoiating turns out of a steep drive. i worked for siding company and wiped out the ..the bumper..side of the truck..and some trees along with another 16' box truck,that got pushed into a ditch.I couldn't help it ...snow, ice and poor tires i blame...hahaha! pay what you must but don't get HOSED!
Old 20th September 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
idigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enough

Well consider yerself lucky. You'd feel worse if your new bike was "worse for the wear" after that mishap. Be more bucks too to get yer new scoot back to pristine. I feel for ya, the most embarrassing thing is to cause damage to someone's wheels with your bike. We all try to be in control, smooth and natural wheeling our scoots around.
Personally I like the 'R" models 19" front tire and 13" shocks for clearance. Needs progressives though. I hate scraping anything and my side stand will touch down with 2 up in tight turns...five cent stock shocks! That 1200 FI engine with minor mods is real kick'in for the bucks laid out. So I tend to push more it in the turns when riding one up.
Good Luck!
2007 XL1200R 69.26 rear wheel HP, 74.23 ft. lbs torque: SE A/c, SE slip ons, FI remap, black Progressive H-D 440's, Progressive fork springs, Mustang wide classic touring seat, oil cooler, aux led brake - running light, H-D med low, six pack rack, cheap a$$ leather bags, H-D bag supports, quick detach compact windshield. Rider with a penchant for WOT...the cure for slow!
Old 20th September 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
idigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enoughidigther will become famous soon enough

Well consider yerself lucky. You'd feel worse if your new bike was "worse for the wear" after that mishap. Be more bucks too to get yer new scoot back to pristine. I feel for ya, the most embarrassing thing is to cause damage to someone's wheels with your bike. We all try to be in control, smooth and natural wheeling our scoots around.
Personally I like the 'R" models 19" front tire and 13" shocks for clearance. Needs progressives though. I hate scraping anything and my side stand will touch down with 2 up in tight turns...five cent stock shocks! That 1200 FI engine with minor mods is real kick'in for the bucks laid out. So I tend to push more it in the turns when riding one up.
Good Luck!
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th September 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

]Sorry to hear about that Mike, Hope ya didnt get yourself scratched or hurt.

Today while riding home a rock about the size of a piece of gravel hit my full face helmet right about where my nose was and i heard it smack full force going about 40 miles per hour. Wear the proper gear and be safe

but keep on riding
and its waay kewl that you owned up and went looking for the owner fo the truck

Danica

Old 20th September 2008
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Softail Deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year: 2011
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLHX Street Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200N (sold)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
funnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond reputefunnythebunny has a reputation beyond repute

First off Mike, Welcome to the XLForum from the Bronx, where the House that Ruth Built, once stood.

We all have had our own mishaps where we learn from our own (or someone else's) mistakes. Be thankful that you walked from this one. You failed to mention whether you're a new rider or not. If you are a new rider, consider taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course. It will give you a good foundation on safety and riding skills. If you already took it, or have been riding awhile, pick up a copy (Amazon or Barnes&Noble) of Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough. I guarantee you'll be putting it down only to practice new skills you did'nt know or understood before.

Again, welcome..
Old 20th September 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

Welcome to te forum.

+1 on the MSF course.

I think the cheapest upgrade you can make right now is learn how to exit your driveway slower.
Old 20th September 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

I think I also would be thinking of a way to stop my bike from scraping the ground when exiting my driveway too. Maybe even a special exit ramp just for your bike or maybe roll through the grass, something but I would not like scraping my bike up even if its on the bottom.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 20th September 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has disabled reputation

Well things could have been much worse. If I were you I'd practice entering and exiting your driveway. Just about everyone has a strong and a weak direction of turn. Practice your weak direction. Remember to stay off the front brake, that'll screw you up everytime when making slow turns. Would also be a good idea to take the MSF Course.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum from sunny Italy!

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Know Thy Hog