The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Get Lowered
CV Performance
Hammer Performance

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
McJohn has disabled reputation
Default inverted forks

I'm wanting to make a street fighter type bike out of my '06 883 custom and am trying to find a way to improve the suspension with the best bang for the buck. I was looking at the Storz inverted forks which are very nice but also kinda pricey.

Are there any other options that might work well and not be so expensive? I was thinking maybe a Buell front end would work?

I'd even consider conventional forks (like some M2 Cyclone forks I found on eBay) as long as the performance is better over stock. I am planning on running a 16" front wheel with a 110 or 120 tire so the narrow forks have to go. I'm also hoping to run dual disks in the front too....

Thanks for any advice.

John
Old 2nd July 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

I believe the Buell forks will bolt to the sportster neck. Someone here will know for sure. I am planning this also and will wait for the experts to answer. Bert posted a pic of a sporty with the Buell front end so I know it can be done, I just don't know if any other mods are needed to make it fit.
Old 2nd July 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

lagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the roughlagerdrinker is a jewel in the rough

sounds like too much money/work to upgrade one aspect of the bike. maybe start with progressive or racetec springs with emulators, put money into rear shocks, engine. you know, spread it around till you know exactly what you want.

Last edited by lagerdrinker; 2nd July 2006 at 23:23..
Old 2nd July 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Model: Victory High-Ball
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Roadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura about

I dont really think all of that is necessary, and you can get a 110/120 into the stock forks(without a fender, or if you modify the fender somehow). some progressives and a fork brace would make a world of difference.

Edit- You should be able to get a 110 on a 19" wheel on the front, and i believe witht he fender still installed.
Old 3rd July 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster_Rider
I dont really think all of that is necessary, and you can get a 110/120 into the stock forks(without a fender, or if you modify the fender somehow). some progressives and a fork brace would make a world of difference.

Edit- You should be able to get a 110 on a 19" wheel on the front, and i believe witht he fender still installed.
You are correct, I am running a 110 now with the fender on and zero problems.

The cost of doing the Buell front end isn't as great as you think. You can pick up a complete front end on the bay for around $250 to $350.

Anyone know off hand what the cost of Progressive springs are ??

The dual disc from Zanotti's is $275 I think.

Perhaps we should do a cost comparison just to see exactly what each conversion would cost and what the benefits of each are.

The reason I am considering this is the fact that I already have the wheels and rotors and I also dig the streetfighter look.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd July 2006
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha wr426 offroad
dodgenbullets has disabled reputation

progressive springs $69.00. There is a sticky here on how to do it.
Old 3rd July 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

When I think of a street fighter, I don't picture upgraded stock suspension. I picture an inverted front end off another bike. I'm not actually sure what I picture as a street fighter. Something like the Confederate Hellcat or Wraith?

I'm not sure what the OP has in mind. Maybe a pic of something that would serve as inspiration would be helpful?

--Chri
Old 3rd July 2006

Roadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura aboutRoadster_Rider has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishajer
When I think of a street fighter, I don't picture upgraded stock suspension. I picture an inverted front end off another bike. I'm not actually sure what I picture as a street fighter. Something like the Confederate Hellcat or Wraith?

I'm not sure what the OP has in mind. Maybe a pic of something that would serve as inspiration would be helpful?

--Chri
DO NOT TWIST THROTTLE!!! ASS AND BALLS WILL SUFFER!
Old 3rd July 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Check out the routing of the rear exhaust. It exits through the swingarm. That corrugated silver piece flexes.

--Chris
Old 3rd July 2006

i saw that, but that drop after the seat still scares me, twist the trhottle once, slip off seat, ass hurts, balls hurt, possible burns, and a possible crash... no thank you.
Know Thy Hog