The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
Licks Cycles
Superbrace.com
Fix My Hog
DK Customs

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Narley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
OK... just had a look..

the part numbers on the wheels are casting part numbers....

the casting part number for both 5 speed wheels is the same as the right side of 4 speeds

BUT it's an A number which means an update of the origional number.... which in this case is a different machining of the same casting/forging...

4 speed and 5 speed aren't interchangeable...... different length outputs on the primary side...

Kerry ... not sure on the key/slot thing ... all the 5 speed sporties I can recall have been keyed and I just put a set of S&S Supreme rods on a set of 94 wheels and put 'em in a 2000 model with a post 2000 pinion gear and E grind cams.
Just figuring this out now. the s&s flywheel set up is designed after the old pinion shaft I was told. I have broken the pinion shaft key and chewed up my redshift 643 cams in the process. Remeber that break i was tlking about that could be a problem this season. well it happened. So i have ordered the new wheels and shafts and rods from s&s and decided to get new cases from them to lessen the chance of future problems. I was shown a set of older wheels and the pinion and shaft were keyed to fit together ..not the single little iron key that my 02 was using but several meshing notches...looked way stronger.

The cannons don't thunder ,there is nothing to plunder.
My Caribbean yearnings 200 years late. I am a forty year old victim of fate. Arriving on the scene 2 centuries late. Alas I am glad still, for having found me best mate. With the wind in my sails...n the rubber side down, I cruise dangerous land ,they all know me in town. No parrot, no sword..with regular life I be bored. So I does what I can, We don't set ships a sail,we aint walked no planks, but we live best we can and for that we give thanks.
Old 5th July 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1380cc hot rod
Sportster/Buell Year: 87
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883-1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 87
ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Pics of pinion shafts. Splined is a 87, keyed is a 89. I have seen keys fail when used with agressive cams. That is why S&S uses the older splined shaft. On the lightweight S&S bottom in my motor I was able to use stock 87 pinion and oil pump gears. The motor co, in their infinate wisdom decided to make it weaker to save some $$$.
Ted

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Plato

Last edited by ted; 22nd June 2007 at 14:05..
Old 5th July 2006
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

I am sorry you did not like my response but looking up part numbers is not a simple 1 or 2 minute deal.

You would not believe how many people expect me to give them free advice and recommendations only for them to turn around and buy the parts off of the internet.

I cannot compete on price with internet warehouses. The only thing I have is our knowledge and expertise to set us apart from them. If I give that away for free how do you expect us to stay in business?

If you had been an established customer I would have been more than happy to assist you.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Because you can talk about what you used to do, or prove it with what you are doing today!
Old 5th July 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Narley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura aboutNarley has a spectacular aura about

Beauty pics...they say a thousand words. the meat of the keyed system had me shaking my head. That splined shaft looks good .
Old 5th July 2006
Master Bike Builder

ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold

Dan,
I figured that with the expertice at NRHS the answer would be right at the tip of the tounge. 4 speed cranks dont work in 5 speeds due to the alternator change. I have raced and wrenched on 4 speed Sportys. I put the present motor together myself. I know 4 speeds, but not 5 speeds. I was looking at helping a guy out that need a flywheel assy. I was not going to sell the guy something that would not work. So, I went to the experts. Maybe we all learned something here. I can't imagine that you didn't know the answer though.
Ted
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th July 2006
Master Bike Builder

Cool

The guy is looking at S&S for a new crank now. Can't go wrong there. I suggested he look into the lightweight race wheels. I sure like mine. ;-)
Thanks again for all the help guys.
Ted