The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors
S&S Cycle
Superbrace

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
SLAP-DASH has disabled reputation
Default I really wanted to like this bike.

Last October (2005) I bought a XL883C. I thought I would like it. It's a beautiful looking bike, but, I really don't get the attraction to the ride. After only 500 miles, I knew this was not the bike for me. Actually, it may not be the Sportster in particular, but rather the "cruiser" set-up that does not fit my style. I've ridden UJM's for over 30 years and I guess I've gotten used to them. Also, I'm not crazy about the v-twin motor. I kind of like the buzz of an in-line four.

I'll be taking some pictures over the weekend and put it in the classifieds here. It's going to be a great deal for someone.
--
slap-dash
Old 6th July 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nothing at the moment
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB360
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
avnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura about

thanks for playing
Old 6th July 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XB12s
xlch_ice is on a distinguished roadxlch_ice is on a distinguished roadxlch_ice is on a distinguished roadxlch_ice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAP-DASH
Last October (2005) I bought a XL883C. I thought I would like it. It's a beautiful looking bike, but, I really don't get the attraction to the ride. After only 500 miles, I knew this was not the bike for me. Actually, it may not be the Sportster in particular, but rather the "cruiser" set-up that does not fit my style. I've ridden UJM's for over 30 years and I guess I've gotten used to them. Also, I'm not crazy about the v-twin motor. I kind of like the buzz of an in-line four.

I'll be taking some pictures over the weekend and put it in the classifieds here. It's going to be a great deal for someone.
--
slap-dash
Sounds like you should have gotten the 883R.
Factory Race FUN
Old 6th July 2006
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let the door hit you in the ass .

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??

Last edited by xllent01; 6th July 2006 at 20:57..
Old 6th July 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
whispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura aboutwhispanic has a spectacular aura about

Old 6th July 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200RS Phantom
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawaski KLX250S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
LordVngr is on a distinguished roadLordVngr is on a distinguished roadLordVngr is on a distinguished road

My question would be Why did you buy it in the first place. Following that I would say I think a lot of sporty owners have second thoughts sometimes After they bought the bike. maybe its the friends ribbing them, or Seeing themselves on it, Or just the girls bike thing.

I think that most just accept it and make the bike their own with changes/mods. those that cant accept it usually wind up selling it and buying a big twin. Since you dont sound like a big twin type either where back to my first question. My 2 cents.

LV
Old 6th July 2006
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: '06 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rx3732 is on a distinguished roadrx3732 is on a distinguished road

damn guys, why so harsh on the dude?
Old 6th July 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
ed_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to beholded_in_az is a splendid one to behold

No problem, Dash. There are many bikes I wouldn't want to ride or own. Just the look of a machine is a really good clue as to what it's about. Now you know what a cruiser is. On the other hand I'm sure someone will recognize and appreciate your bike for what it is. Good luck in your search for the right UJM.
Well ... that explains a lot.
Old 6th July 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
SLAP-DASH has disabled reputation

I'm not trolling. I will be selling the bike cheap if you know anyone looking for a stock 883 Custom. I just need to take some pictures.
Old 6th July 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Other Motorcycle Model: FLHXI Street Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
smoke has disabled reputation

Well, how cheap?
Know Thy Hog