The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
RYCA Motors
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
CV Performance

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
NC_REDNECK_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2004 and up pipes on 86-03 sportster. will it work

hey everyone. i was wondering if pipes off a 2004 and up work on older bikes 86-03. i have an 88 1200 and most of the pipes i like are for an 04 and up. if they wouldnt fit does anyone know why ? and one more would pipes for a big twin fit sportsters with some mods? any help would be great
Old 2nd October 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
ocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura about

Depends.

Most would probably bolt to the jugs but from there it depends on the bend. I've seen some pipes advertised for '85-'07, but they were clear to let you know that you'd have to build your own lower mounts.

I've been wanting to put a set of short shots on my '98 and believe it would probably work, but the rear master cyclinder would probably be in the way.

No big twin pipes would fit.
Old 2nd October 2008
Know It All

i like the short shots and i love the side shots they have a great sound. im looking at a set of ultima big growl pipes that look a little like the short shots but im unsure how they perform. ive never heard anyone say anything about them.
Old 2nd October 2008
Drag Race Champion

ocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura aboutocezam has a spectacular aura about

Do a search.

Ultima big growls have been criticized for having kind of poor quality chrome, but the price is right.

I've seen big growls for my year ('98) and I believe they'd fit your '88 also.

EDIT: The big growls that look a lot like short shots are called "Sharp Shooters". They are part number 60-332. Heat shields are part number 60-313. They are $119.99 (pipes) and $59.99 (heat shields) at: Jirehcycles.com. Ask them to send you a catalog so you can verify the style you want.
Old 2nd October 2008
Know It All

i kinda like the blueing on pipes but if the chrome starts popping off i can wrap the pipes. i wonder how much the transition from 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 will kill my torque. i guess if it did i could always get torque cones. and yes they have them for mine. i know pipes from 98 will work on an 88. i got a set of stock pipes with se slipons from a friend who has a 98 and they fit perfect
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd October 2008
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1250S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Shai`tan is on a distinguished roadShai`tan is on a distinguished road

I`d love to get the Hooker Troublermaker scallop cuts for my `97, but apparently they don`t make em for our year. The damn rear master cylinder again. It`d be nice if pipe makers actually made a set for earlier years. It is not like all the pre 2004 Sporties all dropped off the face of the earth.
Old 2nd October 2008
Know It All

exactly it seems like people like us that ride bikes older than 04 arent special enough to have pipes like the ones made now. piss me off bad enough ill get forwards with the master cylinder on them and get some pipes for an 04 and fab up my own brackets
Old 2nd October 2008
Boat Drinks

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

the 03 and older mount to the frame. if you get a 04 or newer it will mount to the sprocket/pulley cover somewhere. If you are useing a solid mount chances are the bolt pattern will line up on the motor and should not be a problem.
Old 2nd October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda CB700SC
johnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nicejohnnybgood is just really nice

'04 and up Sportsters have the crossover tube hidden towards the back of the mufflers, while the '03 and under have the crossover up by the heads.

John

Ol' Shovelhead of the Dirty Drunkards MC
Old 2nd October 2008
Drag Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai`tan View Post
It is not like all the pre 2004 Sporties all dropped off the face of the earth.
Yeah, I hear ya. I actually wrote Vance & Hines to try to get short shots made for solid mount Sportsters-never heard back from 'em.

Where'd they put the rear master cylinder on the '04 & up?
Know Thy Hog