The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Motor Stage

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ZanexGt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Installed my 29T Sprocket in the 883C, pics/review

Two weeks ago I finally got around to installing the 29T sprocket in my 2005 883C. I read up on the threads here before ripping everything apart and I've got to tell you all, that sprocket nut has a LOT of torque on it. I'd guesstimate about 987894327432 ft-lbs. at least! lol. Anyway, here are some pics of everything.

This is a pic of the 28T after I took the sprocket cover off. You can see the slack in the belt as I've already released the tension off the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neighboorhood chick
Geez ZanexGt, what big nuts you have!

Here's another pic w/ the 28t sprocket on. As you can see, I'm loosening the allen bolts at this point.

This is the official ZanexGt removal tool modeled by pops! No nut or bolt has a chance when I've got tools around!

Here's a direct comparison of the 28t sprocket to the 29t sprocket. Much like my ex's the extra teeth really make a difference!

Dude, where's my sprocket!?

Ready for the sprocket cover to be installed. The 29t is ready for action!

Ultimately, i'm not sure about the results yet with the new sprocket. However, I averaged 46MPG with stage 1, a windshield, and beating the dog piss out of the bike. My average before stage one and all mods was 50MPG. So we'll see. I'll take off the QD windshield for a tank to get a more accurate representation of mileage. However, having the 29t sprocket makes me feel better about the RPM's and sets the stage for the inevitable 1200 conversion.
Old 14th July 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 04
seajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to beholdseajay is a splendid one to behold

Man, I wish I had that special nut remover when I changed mine(went the opposite way,29t to 28t).
04/07 76"C NRHS #2 11:1 .590 cams TP rockers TC88A HSR-42 S&Sac LSR 2-1
Old 14th July 2006
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay
Man, I wish I had that special nut remover when I changed mine(went the opposite way,29t to 28t).
That's my FAVORITE tool ever. It's helped me through some tough times from suspension banjo bolts to transmission bolts that won't come unstuck!

6 foot of pipe connected to a 3/4" breaker bar. Nothing beats BIG BERTHA!
Old 15th July 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XL Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 8830XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: XLS Roadster
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
AeroSport has disabled reputation

Hey Zane,

Looks great, awesome pics, hope it gives you the combo your looking for. Could we possibly get a pic of the back side of the sprocket thats not on the bike. I'm looking to see what the diff is on the 04 + ones and want to see if there is a lip to offset them to line up with the rear pulley fitted to the larger tires? Thanks

2007 1200XL R
RB Racing 2:1/ Mini Max/Power Vision / Dyna FXDX cartridge forks/13.5" Ricor IAS /Willwood/EBC front brakes/Lyndall Metal Matrix rear and much more
Old 16th July 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
prplhays is an unknown quantity at this point

ZanexGt,
Doesn't look too bad. I might give it a try after all. Ordered my 29T earlier today. It should be in by late next week. We'll have to compare notes. I was getting 56mpg before stage 1 and 49mph after, but I'm more interested in getting the rpm's down a little when I'm cruising down the HW at 75mph. How are you going to handle the speedo recal and did you use a belt tension gauge?

Old 16th July 2006
Flat Track Champion

prplhays,

I put the 29T in to lower the RPM's as well as get setup for my 1212-1250 conversion. I was getting about 50MPG (w/o windshield) before stage one and about 46 now w/ stage one - 29T - and windshield. As for the speedo recalibration, I purchased a TC88A Ignition which allows me to recalibrate the speedo to anything I want. It's nice. As for the belt tension, I have the HD cheapo tool for belt tension checking. I put mine on the loose side, it makes me feel better. I've got 5/8" play in the belt.

Good luck on your swap! Make sure you have a Big Bertha around, you're gonna need it for that nut!
Old 16th July 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by prplhays
ZanexGt,
Doesn't look too bad. I might give it a try after all. Ordered my 29T earlier today. It should be in by late next week. We'll have to compare notes. I was getting 56mpg before stage 1 and 49mph after, but I'm more interested in getting the rpm's down a little when I'm cruising down the HW at 75mph. How are you going to handle the speedo recal and did you use a belt tension gauge?
As far as the speedo they read a little fast but by going one tooth bigger to a 29 it should about fix it. If you stay with just the 29 tooth swap your good to go, what luck!
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Old 16th July 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200RSC Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: DT400B
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 76
Other Motorcycle Model: 04-FZ6, 06-350 Wolverine,
Kentucky has disabled reputation

I went the other way on my 1200R. The speedo is exactly the same as it was, no difference except to say it was 5 happy before and it is still 5 happy. The pick up for the speedo is before the gear (pulley) not after. Before the change I was at 2950 when going a corrected 65mph (speedo said 70). With the 28T pully I am going 3250-3300 when going a corrected 65mph. I used the same pace car which is calibrated at +2.....
Old 16th July 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L Superlow
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
prplhays is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky
I went the other way on my 1200R. The speedo is exactly the same as it was, no difference except to say it was 5 happy before and it is still 5 happy. The pick up for the speedo is before the gear (pulley) not after. Before the change I was at 2950 when going a corrected 65mph (speedo said 70). With the 28T pully I am going 3250-3300 when going a corrected 65mph. I used the same pace car which is calibrated at +2.....
I might do the old car trick just to see what I'm doing before and after the swap. I've thought about doing that before, just never have.

ZanexGt,
I found a 19.95 belt tensioner at Scootworks and a belt tensioner that looks like the HD one at Dennis Kirk for 28.95. I've had no luck finding a price on the HD-35381-A belt tensioner.
Old 16th July 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200RSC Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: DT400B
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 76
Other Motorcycle Model: 04-FZ6, 06-350 Wolverine,
Kentucky has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by prplhays
I might do the old car trick just to see what I'm doing before and after the swap. I've thought about doing that before, just never have. ZanexGt,
There is a clean road next to where I used to live in SoCal which was straight for about 2 miles between lights; little or no traffic early Sunday mornings. I had an FRS radio in my pocket with an ear plug so I could hear what my wife was saying as we checked the pace at 10mph intervals from 40mph to 70mph. I could ride next to the pace car while monitoring the speedo on the bike and just listened to her call it off. It worked out great and I didn't have to wait until we could stop to get the results. Either way, my speedo has always been 4-5mph happy. I've never checked it above 70mph except to say that when we were crossing the Arizona desert on our way to Kentucky I was traveling an indicated 85mph and she semed to think we were just shy of 80 so the calibration may get further off at higher speeds.
Know Thy Hog