The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
CV Performance
Speedway Instruments
DK Customs
Energy One Clutches

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
BonRu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Need adviced on bleeding brakes!

Anyone on line right now, we are changing out the front brake line, and are having trouble bleeding the brakes. It is being very stubborn. Any tricks? Anyone know why this is happening. We're doing it right now, so if you could respond now, that would be great!!! Laptop is standing by . . .

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th February 2005
Assistant Administrator

Sportster/Buell Model: 1212 conversion/497 cams
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
xena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond reputexena has a reputation beyond repute

Do it just like in a car....pump the lever a bunch of times, hold it, crack the bleeder screw, repeat. It takes a LOT of pumping. You'll eventually get resistance in the lever but be patient. Make sure you keep fluid in the master cyl.
during the process.

XLF Rules/Guidelines

XLF Guidelines II
*¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*•--->Xena
1212 Conversion 10:1 CR
SE 497 Cams
Python 3 Slip ons
TC88A running Xena's Black Panther Map

My 1212 Conversion Thread
XL Forum Members Map

Old 24th February 2005

Thanks Xena. We were pumping and pumping, and nada, and so we thought we were doing something wrong. I guess we just gotta keep at it. Thanks so much for your quick response!
Old 24th February 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Dyna Street Bob
Gyahmers is an unknown quantity at this point

Like xena said, pump and pump and pump and pump and pump and pump and pump and.................................. It takes what seems like forever, so pump and pump and pump, come on now keep pumping that hand lever.
Old 24th February 2005
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: 2007 Dyna Street Bob
Gyahmers is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot this, and don't ask me why cuz I don't know, but it seems to help if you turn the ignition on to start while pumping.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura about

tickle it.....

look down thru the threads as this came up last week..

here's the link

http://www.xlforum.net/forums/showth...light=bleeding

Last edited by stevo; 24th February 2005 at 01:55..
Old 24th February 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo
tickle it.....

look down thru the threads as this came up last week..
Thanks Stevo; am looking through old threads now.
Old 24th February 2005
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Road King Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
radar is on a distinguished roadradar is on a distinguished roadradar is on a distinguished road
Default Brake Bleed

I just did this today with a new chrome and braided setup, it takes exactly 367,248 strokes on the lever to get pressure.
Just kidding, as said before, fill the res and pump until you have fluid coming out the bleeder on the caliper, close the bleeder and pump the lever, open the bleeder, pump some more, eventually it will build pressure and give you enough to properly bleed the system, then it goes real quick.
My Best

2005 XL1200C
Black, Chrome, and Taxed
2007 RK Classic
Suede Blue/Black, stock 'till I blow it up
Old 24th February 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar
I just did this today with a new chrome and braided setup, it takes exactly 367,248 strokes on the lever to get pressure.
Just kidding, as said before, fill the res and pump until you have fluid coming out the bleeder on the caliper, close the bleeder and pump the lever, open the bleeder, pump some more, eventually it will build pressure and give you enough to properly bleed the system, then it goes real quick.
My Best
Thanks Radar, that's helpful. That's exactly what we have done; changed out the old cable for the new chrome braided line. I've pumped it at least 278,546 times, and I thought maybe that was more than enough. I can see now, I need to do more. Thanks to everyone who responded. We are following your advice, and hopefully by morning we'll have some progress.
Old 24th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura about

Tickle the air out....

Turn the bars so that the handle end of the master cylinder is higher....sometimes ya need to loosen the master cyl and rotate it slightly...

pull the lever in slightly..what you are trying to achieve is opening the initial port in the cylinder......tickle the lever around this point and you'll see air comin back into the master cylinder...

Once you've got that bit worked out the tap the hose up the length of it with a small spanner to free the air that's sticking to the sides of the line.....

that's a master class ..... and works well...I do it on ALL systems that are giving me trouble......

ya still need to get the air out of the caliper and you need to bleed it normally for that..
Know Thy Hog