The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Product Reviews
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Product Reviews Here is where you can write up your own review of bikes, parts, or accessories.

Please do not post problems in here unless replying to a review. Please post problems with specific parts or accessories in their respective forum topics.

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
DK Customs
Licks Holiday
Figure Machine
Sky Smith Insurance

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all
Thumbs up HJC F-15 Initial Review

Hi all Weo here,

I've been wanting to get a different helmet for awhile now. Recently my shield ratcheting mechanism broke on my Shoei (my fault ) and it will take almost a week for a replacement, so I used it as an excuse to get a new helmet from our sponsor Motorcycle Superstore. It came in before my Shoei parts.

I have been very happy with my Sheoi TZR except for two things, one of which was my fault. First, the visor fogs up VERY easily. I ordered a pinlock system to see if it makes a difference. Secondly, I bought one size to large. It felt good at the dealer, but after a week or two the pads broke in and it was noticably loose in highway conditions. Depending on how the pinlock works, I'll keep it for winter when I wear a balaclava. It's worth it to note that the TZ-R is at the lower end of Shoei's FF lineup.

I couldn't justify getting the X-Eleven from Shoei since my budget went to purchasing a 1250 kit, among other projects so I started reading reviews at Web Bike World to get an idea of what I wanted. I also remember trying on the Carbon HC F-15 at an Indy I go to in IL when I visit my family, and it fit well.

I ended up purchasing a white F-15 (HJC's top of the line FF; half the price of the Shoei X-Eleven), and plan on adding a couple stickers of my performance mods in the future.

Here's what she looks like unmolested:

At a glance, I noticed that the nose/breathguard was detachable by 3 easy snaps. The size was a little tight out of the box (the way it should be new). The helmet pad liners were very smooth and comfortable. The chin vent opens down like a door, and the head vents slide up from a center mounted slide control. The head vent looks to have an exhaust port at the top of the visor. The controls were easy to manipulate with heavier gloves. I did not notice any manufacturing defects.

There is a spoiler near the rear with metal mesh vents. With this particular model, it appears as though it does not open to the inside, and works for aerodynamics rather than head venting. I believe that some HJC helmets have an actual adjustable rear vent to the inside for airflow during hot conditions. There is also a mesh vent on the side of the chin, presumably to aid the chin vent. The venting was at least as good, if not better than the TZ-R.

The HJC visor system doesn't have all of the partial open positions that I get with my Shoei. I usually ride in the warmer weather with the Shoei either one ratchet open, or second ratchet from top open. Since I usually wear glasses I still have eye protection with it open. The first position lets me get a good breeze, the second doesn't catch the wind around town, and both don't allow the bottom of the visor to cross into my viewing field. The HJC does allow a tiny crack if desired, and in the upper positions, the visor's bottom only cuts through at about 15% or so of the horizon. Not too bad. The visor was crystal clear with no distortions.

Another nice feature, was that the chin strap end has a snap down. Although not a big deal, my Shoei's chin strap ends would sometimes flap the side of the helmet... a little annoying, but no big deal. The HJC snap secures the end so it doesn't flap in the wind. It also uses the standard two D-ring system.

I received the helmet today, took it out of the box, and headed for the highway. Temps today were around 60F and humid.

I don't know if my Shoei highway experience was due to the fact that I had a size to large with my Shoei, but this helmet loves the highway!!! With my Shoei TZ-R on the highway, I could feel helmet lift and significant wind resistance when I turned to check my blind spot. With the HJC, I barely noticed the wind resistance at all, and no noticable resistance when turning my head to check behind me. Wind noise was similar, if not less than my TZ-R. Although my zipped up fleece might have influenced that.

I used the breathguard (Shoei also has a nose/breathguard available) and only noticed slight fogging when stopped. I'll try it without the breathguard later and see if it makes a noticable difference.

I'm VERY happy with this helmet, and highly recommend it.

Last edited by Weo; 7th October 2008 at 21:31..
Old 7th October 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of lightdpiacentijr is a glorious beacon of light

My only comlaint with the tzr is holy hell is it loud. I get so much damn wind noise from the bottom of the helmet. Is the hjc quite? I changed from a hjc to a shoei rf 800 a years back and the rf was super quite, i'm debating buying another rf event though the price is a little high.
Old 7th October 2008

Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiacentijr View Post
My only comlaint with the tzr is holy hell is it loud. I get so much damn wind noise from the bottom of the helmet. Is the hjc quite? I changed from a hjc to a shoei rf 800 a years back and the rf was super quite, i'm debating buying another rf event though the price is a little high.
I usually end up wearing ear plugs with the Shoei if I'm planning on taking multi-hour highway trips. This takes away the wind noise and heavy exhaust note of my slipons when driving for hours on end. I've found that most of the wind noise comes from the gap between the neck and the bottom helmet liner. Try shrugging your shoulders the next time you're on the highway and see if it makes a difference. For me, it silences most of the wind noise on the TZ-R.

I didn't pay too much attention to the noise during the ride today with the F-15, but I did notice that it was satisfactory. However, I wear a Marmot DriClime windbreaker under my mesh jacket in this type of weather. Since it zips up to my chin, it might have reduced the wind noise on the highway. Edit: I would still wear ear-plugs for prolonged highway rides.

Last edited by Weo; 7th October 2008 at 21:49..
Old 26th April 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell S2T "Aurora"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Phelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to beholdPhelan is a splendid one to behold

I like that helmet a lot; thanks for the review. I plan on getting the Carbon Fiber Version to match all the CF on my Buell.
Old 26th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
I like that helmet a lot; thanks for the review. I plan on getting the Carbon Fiber Version to match all the CF on my Buell.
Be careful. I heard that many carbon fiber helmets have problems with drastic marks from road debris, since the carbon fiber isn't a good material to paint (clear coated) onto unsanded.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th March 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
CuriousG is on a distinguished roadCuriousG is on a distinguished roadCuriousG is on a distinguished roadCuriousG is on a distinguished road

I was actually going to post about the FS-15 vs. the TZ-R when I stumbled on this thread. So what is the verdict? Do you like the FS-15 better than the TZ-R?

I am about to get a new lid and am torn between the two. Shoei quality seems flawless and they fit me very well (I wear an RF700 now that is probably overdue for replacement). The HJC does seem to have a better vent system and a fully removable liner for a good amount of coin less. Anyone else have thoughts too?