The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
S&S Cycle
883 Sportster
Licks Holiday
DK Customs

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Hot Rod Sportster XL 1203
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 100th Anniversary
FiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to all
Default Dna Springer?

I am wrestling with the question to put a springer on my bike or not I love the look and am very inclined to go with a nice springer.

I came across another forum elsewhere where the members discussed extensively the qualities of the DNA springer front ends.

The reviews were somewhat mixed with some satisfied with the look and performance especially in view of the price and others flat out dismissing them as garbage.

I thought I'd find threads on that here but didn't find much.

I'd like to know first hand from any fellow forum members who are running DNA's or other springers or girders what they think?

As always i greatly appreciate all of the input.

Best regards,

FiftySixer
Old 9th October 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Chopster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell XB1200STT
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
goinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of lightgoinsideways136 is a glorious beacon of light

ive heard they are very noisy going down the road and kinda rough but id take a pair!!!

Vegas Crew Devils Playground
Old 9th October 2008
Flat Track Champion

FiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to allFiftySixer is a name known to all
Default Dna Springer?

I have heard the same thing - spring rattle. I don't know exactly what that is or how one would solve that but outside of that not much else negative. When I come accross the forum I mentioned earlier I'll provide a link to it.

If I can manage to find one through contacts - used or perhaps mildly damaged but fixable, I'm going to try for a Paugho or a Harley front end with the shock. If I get lucky with one or two of the major components, I may just piece one together until it's complete.

My bike took me 20 months so far to get it to where it is now. It's very close to finished but now its the rest of the bike until next year when I can port the heads and do NOS. Then It's done.

I'm looking for one of those old style round fork braes that TrakTek used to sell when they were still doing business.

If anyone knows where I can get one for my sportster please let me know or PM me.

Best regards,

FiftySixer
Old 9th October 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

I have a 4" under and I have not had any problems.
It is rougher and noisier than others.
But then again I am riding rigid.
Old 9th October 2008
Flat Track Champion

Default 4" Under? Your Avitar?

Thats the ideal ;enght with a 21" front wheel. You end up right around 2' UNDER STOCK that way. So it works out real nice. Actually anything from a stock to a -4" would be good.

I think my bike would look killer with a short springer and a 21" wheel on the front. I'm working on it with some of the bike shops I do web design work for so I may get lucky here soon.

Know Thy Hog

Old 9th October 2008
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

4" under is a little much for most people.
I have a Flyrite frame and the 4" under and it gives me just under 2" ground clearance.
Check my gallery for pics.
Old 10th October 2008
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

If money's tight, you can get plans from Crime Scene Choppers, and make your own.

'The green machine'
Old 13th October 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
CHEFRICK is on a distinguished roadCHEFRICK is on a distinguished road

I plan on using a 2 under DNA springer for my winter project. I would also like to hear more reviews.
Old 13th October 2008
Flat Track Champion

Default Raw Finish Dna And Weld On Shock Mounts? Or Insanity?

Ok, I know - everyone tells me the same thing - I can't leave anything alone.

But here goes;

as I'm sure many of you guys interested in Springers have noticed - several of the DNA supliers also furnish them in raw steel - unfinished form.

My question is - would it be possible to weld on the tabs to mount the front shock on a set to upgrade them like the Paugho's and HD's with the front shock on them?Then after that get them chromed or hammer tone finished in a powder coat?

I'd love to spend $1500 - $2000 on a Paugho or even a set of HD springers but since the economy went to shit - it's not an option now or even for a while, unless I litterally trip over a bargain here locally at the hot rod meets or custom swap meets or something.

Has anyone tried this or is it even in the realm of realtiy?

Any input is appreciated.

Best regards,

FiftySixer
Old 16th October 2008
Flat Track Champion

Default Building A Springer From Parts? 45 Parts? J7p Vinatge?

Anyone out there try building thrir own springer from the repro parts available from "45 Parts" "J7P Vintage" or V-Twin Mfg."?

I think if I can locate a sourece to get everything I'll just start buying the parts to build a springer that has the front shock like the Paugho or even a Paugho with the front shock.

Any advise is appreciated.

Best regards,

FiftySixer
Know Thy Hog