The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
Ironworks Magazine
Dead Creek Cycles
Dead Creek Cycles
DK Customs

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2008
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1200 taxes paid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
steveb71 is on a distinguished roadsteveb71 is on a distinguished roadsteveb71 is on a distinguished roadsteveb71 is on a distinguished road
Default trouble removing float bowl pin on CV carb

Is there a trick to get the float bowl pin out of the tangs so the float can be removed? I'm having a heck a time getting the pin to budge. Any suggestions? The FSM doesnt state which way it comes out and I've tapped on it but afraid of breaking off a tang. Thanks....Steve.
Old 13th October 2008
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant future

Yes they can be a pain sometimes. If I remember correctly I think
there is a arrow on the carb that points to the direction that you
]insert it. Remove it the other way.

I use a small nail that I ground flat on the pointed end as a punch.
Old 13th October 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/Buell XB12S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
PuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura aboutPuddlePirate has a spectacular aura about

I just took mine off this last week, and yes it was a pain to get off. I don't remember what way the arrow was facing, but I believe I had it on the bench on its side, with the float facing away from me. The throttle cable bracket was on the top side.

I used a big hammer and a jeweler's screwdriver, and it it firmly, but not too hard. It will break loose. You can place something underneath the bottom tang if you would like, for extra support, just don't block the pin from coming out.

Also, when you go to put it back in, make sure it is completely flush on both sides, or your bowl won't go back on straight.
Old 5 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 73
tmb99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thread mine! My pin is stuck to buggery. I tried all sorts of things, then used a pin punch to beat the crap out of it enough to take the float off. Not sure how I'm going to get it back in! Guess I really need to get it out and figure out why it's stuck so badly.
I've gone with the understanding the arrow is the direction it goes in.