The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
883 Sportster
DK Customs
Burly
Biltwell

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Other Motorcycle Model: '06 Scarabeo
willprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura aboutwillprevale has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Bargain Brakes Warning

When dealing with things that can adversely affect safety (brain surgery, airplanes and brake pads), be careful. We get what we pay for.

Beware of disscount pads of unknown or dubious quality. Among them are "Bikers Choice" and the brand sold by JC Whitney. They have been known to fail under wet and/or severe conditions. For severe braking applications SBS are the most aggressive, but they will tend to wear rotors. For all normal applications, the stock HD pads are the best bet.

Last edited by willprevale; 25th February 2005 at 16:12..
Old 25th February 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
sportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enough

Good advice. Also beware of using 'racing' compound pads- these are meant to work more efficiently at the high temperatures generated while racing. They will stop you, but not a efficiently as the proper street compound pads. They can also be noisy.
XL50 #494/2000 - Orange
Old 25th February 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Night Train
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
WinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enough

Makes no sense to go cheap on brakes. Protecting your tail an bike should be a high priority an not a place to skimp. I have read some good stuff on EBC kevlar brake pads. Anyone use these ?
09 Dyna Street Bob
Old 25th February 2005
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
AZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished road

WINXP,

I had a pair of the EBC kevlar organic pads. They SUCKED!!! It took a whopping 1,500 miles to make metal-to-metal pad to rotor contact on my bike. I got 3,500 miles out of the SBS sintered metal pads, and 5,000 miles on each pair of H-D stock pads. I only have a single disc up front.
Old 25th February 2005
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Night Train
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
WinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enoughWinXP will become famous soon enough

That is good to know. At replacement time I will go with the hd pads. Thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

You know I see this all the time in my job, as a Mechanic, I know that People are not made os money, but they just want the cheapest repairs to get by sometimes.
I have this little sign on my tool box........

We do three types of repairs here Good, Fast and cheap, but you can only choice two at a time.

So, if you want it good and fast, it ain't goning to be cheap.
If you want it good and cheap, well, it ain't going to be fast.
And i will not do a fast and cheap, cause it won't be good.

You only get what you pay for in life.