The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Off-Topic/General Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Off-Topic/General Discussion Here is you can submit non-Sportster related topics. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION PLEASE.

Members Birthdays
Speedway Instruments
Foxcreek Leather
Energy One Clutches
Get Lowered

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2008
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
ron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really niceron521 is just really nice
Default Twin Cylinder Shootout

Considering only motorcycles with two cylinders, which areas do you feel the Sportster excells? Which areas do you feel are superior on some other brand?

For example, many would say that the old Triumphs handled much more easily, having owned several, I would have to concur. It isn't that a Sportster won't hold a line, just that the geometry makes it require more effort to lean it over, actually not unlike some of the big Ducatis.

However, I would say that in the area of carburetion, the worst Sportster ever is still equal or better than the best Amal Concentric or Monobloc (don't know about the newer Amal Mk II, they might be ok).

The 5 speed transmission on my Sportster is supposed to be able to handle up to 100 hp, however it does shift noisily at times. My old Triumph 5 speed was very smooth and slick, same for my BSAs. Perhaps I'll try a different brand lubricant?

I'm not aware of any British twin which would run 50,000 miles without opening up the motor, but have heard of a number of Sportsters which did.
Also knew a fellow with a Benelli twin which ran some very high mileage, and he never had the head off.

Many people think of Sportsters as mobile vibrators, but do they actually shake as badly as the old British twins, which had both pistons travelling up and down together? BMW's shook the most at redlights (and in an odd, side-to-side manner), and at low speeds in town, but smoothed out wonderfully on the highway as rpm climbed.

What areas do you think Sportsters "XL" at (sorry, couldn't resist).
Old 16th October 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR-1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
jessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nicejessearias is just really nice
Default not much

The sportsters have always been about equal with the British twins. All your points are accurate.

My 1973 750 Triumph Bonnieville would trash any 1973 Sportster. Performance wise and handling wise. Amal carburators and all.

Even nowdays, the new British twins will be a equal match to any Sportster. The new British twins are pretty smooth all around.

The Sportster just has a lot of potential when modified. It can be turned into a pretty fast, good handling bike. But, it requires a lot of money.

But, it's a Harley and that all you need to say.

2002 XL1200S "The Black Beauty" NRHS 1250 kit CI, NRHS Stage 1 TS heads dual plugged, NRHS Hurricane Air Filter, SE 536 cams, Rich Products Thunder header, 42 Mikuni, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. 97.4 HP, 85.5 Torque 1984 XR-1000 S&S Crank/rods w/windage tray, Vision Grinding Cylinders, Arias 11:1 compression pistons, Andrews XR-1000-1 cams, Baisley modified dual plugged heads, Rich Products Thunder header, 38mm Delortos, Daytona Twin Tec ignition w/ Dyna coils. (the never ending project but, got a 66 Barracuda drag car sucking up all the funds and time)
Old 16th October 2008
Peat moss

Sportster/Buell Model: sportsterR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2105
Other Motorcycle Model: 82 1000sz katana
Other Motorcycle Year: abov
Ireeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond reputeIreeman has a reputation beyond repute

Can i include the crazy guy that built the brittainy? That would smoke anything, period.
Old 16th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Ron what are you trying to compare though - power, speed, balance, versatility?

I like Guzzis a lot because they combine some of what is the best of a Harley motor (a pushrod, shared-crankpin, torquey V-twin) with some of the best of BMW (better balanced, slightly higher revving, nickasil liner - LONG LIVED). It's not uncommon to see Guzzi California's like my Jackal with 100-200k on the clock.

Sportys are probably THE MOST maintenance friendly, super easy. That's a huge plus.

They're also the most torquey and most solid feeling (which some will prefer, others won't).

I never thought my airheads shook much at idle, and the slighty torque effect wiggle at a stop light was nothing more than a shimmy. I did think they actually buzzed a bit annoyingly at high speeds though. The early oilheads were worse in that sense (more buzzy). Not sure what the current generation (R1200's) are like.
Old 16th October 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Kev, you bring up a good point. I rode my Dad's 2004 1150R a few weeks ago and it does have that wiggle at idle and a BIG wiggle when up shifting.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnsa View Post
Kev, you bring up a good point. I rode my Dad's 2004 1150R a few weeks ago and it does have that wiggle at idle and a BIG wiggle when up shifting.
BIG WIGGLE? You gotta be kidding me, I've never felt the torque effect except when goosing at idle on any of my BMWs or Guzzis.

BIG WIGGLE? no way.

Unless you were lazy on the shifting and what you actually were feeling was just the disconnect power applied, power not applied, power applied...
Old 16th October 2008

bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
BIG WIGGLE? You gotta be kidding me, I've never felt the torque effect except when goosing at idle on any of my BMWs or Guzzis.

BIG WIGGLE? no way.

Unless you were lazy on the shifting and what you actually were feeling was just the disconnect power applied, power not applied, power applied...
We both commented about the wiggle when up shifting. Maybe it was caused by the power coming on an off, but we tried everything we could think of to smooth it out or get rid of it.
Old 16th October 2008

Quote:
We both commented about the wiggle when up shifting. Maybe it was caused by the power coming on an off, but we tried everything we could think of to smooth it out or get rid of it.
That just doesn't sound right... I dunno.

There are a lot of people who think the torque effect is huge on BMWs and Guzzis, but most of them have never ridden them.

I mean, if the effect was so big, you've think that they'd slam a bike down in a corner right?

Get on or off the throttle of any bike in a curve and you're gonna feel it and it's not torque effect.

But upright, going down the road or highway, and get in it good, I've never felt a wiggle and I've not only owned nearly half a dozen Guzzis and BMWs, I've had a good dozen or two more (BMWs at least) from press fleets. I just don't get what you're saying.

Old 16th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
But upright, going down the road or highway, and get in it good, I've never felt a wiggle and I've not only owned nearly half a dozen Guzzis and BMWs, I've had a good dozen or two more (BMWs at least) from press fleets. I just don't get what you're saying.

I'll have to ride it again to see if its still the same.
Old 16th October 2008

Quote:
I'll have to ride it again to see if its still the same.
Lemmie know, I'll be real curious.

I'll goose the goose a couple of time on the way home too, under different circumstances and see if I'm missing something subtle...
Know Thy Hog