The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Burly
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
Dead Creek Cycles

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2008
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 82
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead
Rosey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kickstart Conversion Kits

I found these kickstart conversion kits online (tejasthumpcycles.com). I'm thinking of converting my 82 Ironhead to a kickstart, but not sure what will work best (if anything).
Old 17th October 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to allericfreeman is a name known to all

Last year of kickstarts was officially 1979, although some 1980's had cases with the hole/bushing for kickstarts. No chance on 1982 without serious machine work.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 19th August 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1969 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000 75th Anniversary
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice81Fe is just really nice

I know this is a old thread, but everyone talks about this.

I have a 1982 ironhead as well and had my starter realy die about 30 miles from home last weekend. A buddy pushed me up the next hill and i did a 2nd gear bump start...

Anyway, it got me thinking about how to convert my 1982 to a kicker.

I have installed MANY a kicker on older ironheads and actually have a complete 'backup' kicker kit sitting around that i have been comparting to my 1982...

If im not mistaken, the clutch basket on the 1982 WILL accept the ratchet plate.

The 'Serious Machining' everyone mentions seems to boil down to drilling a hole in the rear motor mount and the inside of the primary case in the engine block for the kicker shaft. Then the sprocket cover and rear brakes need to be converted to 1979 specs.

This does not seem difficult at all if you take the cases apart.

I just finished re-doing the bottom end and will not be splitting my cases again so soon, so am i crazy to think that i can lay the bike over on its primary side and true it to my drill press to get a good clean hole in the case?
Old 19th August 2010
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1000cc Ironhead Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 96 KDX200 Dirt Bike
russzx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to allrusszx6 is a name known to all

so i'm thinking. . .the hole is what 3/4"? . . or around that, what sort of tolerance . .say less than 1mm . .too far away and your gears will not have a full mesh, too far in and it will all bind and lock up. . . . your going to have issues there unless your mighty lucky!!
Old 19th August 2010
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 84
Other Motorcycle Model: Kaw Z1 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1973
jonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura aboutjonnybravo has a spectacular aura about

I was once told by someone "not completely full of it" that basically that it. yes the hole location is critical but and good machine shop could do that one ( I dont know the definition of serious machine work but, after what I've been through with my guy this dont seem so well SERIOUS.. His was done by a dealership no less which had a wrench who had started in the AMF era. Soooo... even though I've been told "no it aint happening" the next time my cases are aprt I'm doin it. o yea E84
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th August 2010
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883 deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1989
Other Motorcycle Model: CB 450 (honda chopper)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura aboutghost_rader has a spectacular aura about

im not sure what the inside of your primary looks like on the newer ironheads, but here's my early 80 that had the hole in it for the kicker(which is now fitted) you can use this as a reference to see what you might have to do to get it to work on the newer bikes.
good luck with this adventure.

1980 XLS sportster 1000, .030 over electric ign, accel coil and wires, s&s Super E carb, progressive rate shocks, quick bob tank and rear fender, custom wheels (21"frt), billet trees, drag bars, custom lighting, 2-1 exhaust, 82-95 controls, and probably more
Old 19th August 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C/ 1250 convert
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
jollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura about

Here's a question: How bad would it be to just find a set of older cases? The stroke should be the same in all the motors, and the studs from the case to the jugs shouldn't have changed, so if I'm looking at all this right, if you find an older set of cases, you can just switch it all over with the added benefit of knowing the hole is in the right spot.

I'm new to ironheads, so take that into account for whatever I say.
Old 19th August 2010
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
ezstreet481 is an unknown quantity at this point

man, my knee hurts reading this post. I grew up on a '65 and '68. How many times did that pedal jam my knee? After three kicks with a magneto, it was time to take off the coat and helmet. Why anyone would want a manual leg after owning an electric leg is beyond me. It was nice when a big ape azzholes couldn't do what a 140 lb wuzz could. But, that little button is nice after a couple brew after two.
Old 19th August 2010
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C/ 1250 convert
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
jollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura aboutjollyroger83 has a spectacular aura about

I can't speak for everyone wanting to do this, but my reason is that it's a vintage feature, that you can't get on new bikes. My ironhead is older than me. Having a kick start just adds to the "old skool" look. In my case, I'm not sacrificing my electric start, so I'll have that too, but having the kick start on the bike in my opinion, completes the picture of an old ironhead harley.
Old 19th August 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLHA the A is for AWESOME
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
steve0suprem0 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is relevant to my interests. Mainly I just want a backup should the starter fail. Plus its cool.