The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum RYCA MOTORS  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Lowbrow Customs
Ironworks Magazine
Energy One Clutches
Burly

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2005
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1000 CC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: 1000 Sportster Hardtail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
RoseLady has disabled reputation
Unhappy Ironhead Coil Test???!!!??

Someone please tell me how to tell if my coil has gone bad on my 77 (piece of X?@#) sportster! I am about ready to send it to the landfil!

Thanks!
Old 26th February 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Info from Clymer manual:

disconnect coil secondary and primary wires before testing.

1. set ohmmeter to RX1. Measure coil primary resistance between both coil primary terminals. should be 4.7 to 5.7 ohms

2. set meter to RX100. measure coil secondary resistance between both high voltage terminals. should be 16,000 to 20,000 ohms

An alternative is to temporarily install a known good ig coil.
Old 26th February 2005
Biker

Strange...Coil on bike, with ignition on, volts are there on positive end of coil (top). Volts are also measureable from bottom terminal of coil when bike is attempting to fire (hitting starter button).

But, No fire from end of plug wires (with screwdriver installed and ground to plugs)....So could this still be a coil issue??

PS... Dyna-S ignition installed. Not running points.
Old 26th February 2005
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1974 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 74
74FeHeadXLH has disabled reputation

yea but to actually test the coil...take off the wires from the screws on the side and unplug the two plug wires...then measure the resistance of the coil which is useing the battery power of the ohmeter/multimeter you are using. The primary measurement is the two screws on the side of the coil (Mick listed the range it should read if good), the socondary is your two plug wires. Bike ignition needs to be off and wires unhooked to take these readings
Old 26th February 2005
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74FeHeadXLH
yea but to actually test the coil...take off the wires from the screws on the side and unplug the two plug wires...then measure the resistance of the coil which is useing the battery power of the ohmeter/multimeter you are using. The primary measurement is the two screws on the side of the coil (Mick listed the range it should read if good), the socondary is your two plug wires. Bike ignition needs to be off and wires unhooked to take these readings
Thanks...I was wandering how to tell what the primary from the secondary. I have a service manual somewhere?>?

I'm not sure if this is a sign/symptom of the coil going/gone out but...

I was riding and the bike was running really bad. Then it just died! Won't start. No fire to the plugs. I'm glad I have an 04 1200C as a primary ride.

This 1977 is pretty (corvett yellow, fat bob tank, fat bob fender, ect) but, it is truly a piece of #@*?
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th February 2005

I go through those phases of calling my 74xlh a POS too, then I get it fixed and all's well again, mines also converted from points to electronic, and the first part I had to replace after I had it about a month was the coil, but at the same time I also noticed most of the wiring connectios were corroded and rusty and needed to be cleaned up as well, and the plug wires were old and tired, so it could be a combination of smaller probs causing it for ya
Old 26th February 2005
Biker

Did your coil go out?

I think my Dyna-S needs 5 ohm coil. Which is what I THINK is on the bike. My thought is if the Dyna-S needs a 5 and I have a 4.5 or a 3 on the bike this may be my trouble. Maybe the coil did what it could and now it has had all it can take. I put the Dyna on about 750-1000 miles ago.

Do you think this problem could have anything to do with the Dyna?!? I hope not!$!

I want to do a complete "tune-up" on the sporty but the 1972 Shovelhead (basket case) I just bought is screaming for parts! Just have to decide which bike to pay the "tax" on first.

I will take my "notes" on testing the coil out to the shop in the morning and see what I can see!
Old 26th February 2005

yea a wrong ohm coil will work....for a little while then fry...doubtful it hurt your ingnition
Old 26th February 2005
Biker

Will the "primary resistance test" that Mick described and you explained tell me what ohm coil is on the bike?
Old 26th February 2005

yea the primary resistance is the one that'll tell ya
Know Thy Hog