The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches
RYCA Motors

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rubbermount in a rigid frame

Here the question, can a rubbermount 1200, be used in a rigid EVO 1200 frame? Does anyone know if HD changed the casing and the frame or just the frames for the rubbermounts?
Thanks in advance....
Old 21st October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
gearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura aboutgearhead1972 has a spectacular aura about

The frame is a little bigger to accommodate the rubber mounting points, At least to my eye viewing Elissa's and mine side by side. Cases are different at least with the trap doors and the primary covers, as for the spacing of motor mounts I am not sure.
03 Vivid Black 883/1250, with 04 1200r/XB heads, Andrews N4 cams, Hurricane push rods.040 shorter than stock. Dyna 2000i ignition, Screaming Eagle ignition coil and wires. V&H Straight Shots, Generic tear drop with 3in wide K&N filter, 48 slow, 175 main, NOKH needle shimmed .043. Progressive front springs, 412 rear shocks. ♠ 79.5 HP, 77.96 TQ ♠ ~Kevin~
Old 21st October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Both are pretty damn different...
Old 21st October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Both are pretty damn different...
Same as "Kev M " except + {10 X10} = 100 % different in both:

a) the frame with all new motor mounts, its dog bone attachments as well as
b) the huge cast-in rings on the front and rear of the crankcases.

It would be easier to fit an Evo engine into a rubbermount frame than "vice versa" but not necessarily by much IMO.

However, I am quite confident that someday, someone, somewhere will do exactly what may seem impracticable just to prove a point.

Cheers;
Old 21st October 2008

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

LOL - I was just walking the line of the fact that they are both the same basic design. 45 degree V twin, 4-camshaft, shared crankpin EVO sportster motor in a dual-cradle frame.

But yeah, what FE said.

The motor casing on the solidmount acts as a stressed member, reinforcing the less bulky frame for a nice rigid chassis. When they rubbermounted the motor they had to increase the frame size/bulk (weight) in order to get back that rigidity (they claim the new frame is stiffer by some large percentage, though it's not clear if that's double-talk for it had to be that much stiffer for the chassis to essentially have the same stability if you know what I mean).

Anyway, they are about as similar in character as two very different bikes can be.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd October 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I figured as much........Knew I get the skinny here.
Old 22nd October 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

Not only are the engine mounts different, but the swing arm mounts are very different also.
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.