The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Licks Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Lowbrow Customs
Energy One Clutches

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2006
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 99
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883 is the Wifes
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 98
Other Motorcycle Model: CB450 chop in progress
Other Motorcycle Year: 73
D_D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Those of you who have a windshield and put lowers on,

lets see some pictures, whether you have built them or bought them.

I put a MS Rio Grande on and it pushes the air over me great but I get so much wind coming from around the bottom that NO amount of adjusting makes it useable above 45 without putting my arm against my chest to block the wind from knocking my head around.
I also tryed 3 different helmets with combinations of visors and shields on them no help. I'm thinking of making some lowers like they put on the E-Glides/Road Kings.
Something like this...

Last edited by D_D; 30th July 2006 at 18:38..
Old 30th July 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Pulchritude is on a distinguished roadPulchritude is on a distinguished roadPulchritude is on a distinguished roadPulchritude is on a distinguished road

I will gladly post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Old 30th July 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR Road King Standard
CapMorganXL is an unknown quantity at this point

Those lowers will work great. I have the HD quick detach windshield, and had the same wind buffeting problem you have. The lowers make all the difference in the world. For my installation, it only involved drilling one extra hole in each lower and adding longer bolts and spacers, and the whole assembly comes off with the windshield. Yours will obviously be a bit different. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LowersDetached.jpg (80.0 KB, 987 views)
File Type: jpg lowersattached.jpg (59.0 KB, 1135 views)
Webmaster/Photographer/Past Director- [URL="http://www.atascaderohog.com/home.html"]Atascadero, CA HOG #0174[/URL]
'05 1200 Custom, Vivid Black- SE II Slip-ons, Big Sucker
Mustang Vintage Wide Solo + pillion
Progressive 412s w/heavy springs, RaceTech emulators & springs, SuperBrace
Detachable everything, Linbar, XM satellite radio
[B][URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/159"][COLOR=navy]See my Gallery[/COLOR][/URL][/B]
Old 30th July 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL standard 883/1200 conv
Bill2 has disabled reputation
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapMorganXL
Those lowers will work great. I have the HD quick detach windshield, and had the same wind buffeting problem you have. The lowers make all the difference in the world. For my installation, it only involved drilling one extra hole in each lower and adding longer bolts and spacers, and the whole assembly comes off with the windshield. Yours will obviously be a bit different. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Super nice looking job, you have any bigger pics? I tried finding your gallery but it's seems to have disappeared, for some reason mine disappeared too and i had to start rebuilding it.
'05 Standard 883/1200 touring conversion with: '07 XB heads with 8.8:1 c/r, dragtron II a/c, Caliber 2into1 five step header, rejetted to: 46pilotjet @ two turns,needle clip on 4th groove,185 main jet,twin tech high performance ignition, 30 tooth trans pulley, jagg oil cooler, forward controls, pullback type handle bars,memphis fats windshield, Corbin classic solo seat with back rest, 10" pillion pad, black progressive 412 shocks 12.5" H-D springs, progressive fork springs, vista cruise control, and relocated ignition & coil to a stainless steel home brewed mount between the cylinders. (Temp. runs around 165-180 degrees in town and 180- 210 degrees on the freeway running 70-90mph and it uses no oil in between 3000 mile changes.) GPS calibrated speedometer.
Old 31st July 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have lowers like CapMorganXL. I agree that they do a super job of blocking the wind comming up your chest from the gas tank. Be advised that there are 2 different sets of lowers in the HD catalogue. I got the ones for the softail becasue the distance between the holes was shorter. Drill one hole and you are good to go.
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd August 2006
Know It All

Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR Road King Standard
CapMorganXL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the compliment. My gallery is gone for now. I inquired last week and was told the gallery data all got corrupted and was lost, and I haven't had time to rebuild it. When I get all the pics back up, I'll post a thread re; windshield with lowers.
Old 3rd August 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley RoadKing FLHRC I
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
CROW is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the Rio Grande as well with same wind problem. I made a set of small clear plexi glass lowers much like Memphis Shades own lowers. They helped alot. I am now making a one piece unit that will mount to the forks under the headlight and extend out past the forks replacein the lowers I made but also blocking more front wind. I will take a pic when I am done.
Old 4th August 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
decrago is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROW
I have the Rio Grande as well with same wind problem. I made a set of small clear plexi glass lowers much like Memphis Shades own lowers. They helped alot. I am now making a one piece unit that will mount to the forks under the headlight and extend out past the forks replacein the lowers I made but also blocking more front wind. I will take a pic when I am done.
Crow,

I'm very interested in knowing how you attached your home made lowers to your bike. I have the El Paso windshield and I was looking for a way to use the existing hardware to just fasten something on. Is that how you did it?

I have to figure something out because right now, I travel on the freeway to work, 70+MPH and it doesn't matter if I use a half, 3/4, full, or no helmet, my head buffets around enough that I have a hard time reading signs.

No windshield is great, no buffeting at all, but at 6:30 am, even 60 degrees can be cold.

Here is what my windshield looks like, if you can see it good enough.

[URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7234"]Misc gallery pics[/URL]
[I]Everything I say I know is true because I got the information off of the Internet[/I]
Old 4th August 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Harley RoadKing FLHRC I
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
CROW is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan:
Right now I have my home made lowers off as I am making my new all in one unit. I just bought some right angled aluminum and cut it about a 7 inch length. I drill it to match the bolts in my mounting brackets. I went to Lowes and bought 4 allen screws that were longer I think the size was 1/4 20 pitch 1.25 long but don't quote me. I will try to take a PIC and post it.

Crow
Old 4th August 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
decrago is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be great!

Where did you get the angled aluminum from?

It sounds pretty easy.
Know Thy Hog