The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum MOTOSPORT  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Hal Smith (63), XRCR Davis (63), ndmp40 (59), wkwood2000 (58), Predator (45), Steve-B (41), Grind1203 (29)
Biltwell
Bison Motorsports
RYCA Motors
Get Lowered

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough
Default joestuff stroker project update

So it's coming along. Paid the local indy to do the bottom end and cam chest, then started putting her together. Still don't know if I like the white frame, but the paint on the frame was too far gone to touch up, so I decided to take a chance. Still alot of little things to do. I can kick it, but I have to put weight and muscle into it. Should be trying to start her later in the week. For those that missed the previous threads in the spring, it's a 80 inch storker, s+s pistons, sifton -- cams, s+s g carb, ect. I got it an a basket when they retired it from racing, then they never put it back together, but had all the parts to de-tune it for the street(it ran 9.9 with high dome pistons and more cam, and more balls then I got). The paint got all dinged up in 15 years of storage.

Old 26th October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
RRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished roadRRB is on a distinguished road

That is one classy looking Sportster! Thanks for the pics, and please keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 26th October 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
maverick is an unknown quantity at this point

imo I think the frame looks very good and different, great looking bike
Old 26th October 2008
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH Stroker Chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH Bobber
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH Project ?????
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
ironhead red has disabled reputation

Joe,
That is a good lookin machine. That 5" stroke is gonna be fun, fun, fun, for a while. I hope your efficient at top end jobs, because if your gonna ride that on the street, you'll learn to be.
I like the white frame, it looks period correct with that seat & paint job.

Ironhead red
Old 26th October 2008
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

Stroker with a magneto. For the sake of your right leg, make sure the mag is in top condition. Should be a blast to ride. Not many folks will be giving you s**t about the white frame as you leave them in the dust.
Know Thy Hog

Old 26th October 2008
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBi Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
OutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura aboutOutlawTexan67 has a spectacular aura about

Man that is a sweet bike.

and please do tell us how it runs once you get it out on the road!!!!!!!

I am thinking very serious about stroking the '80 next winter,but this winter gotta get the hardtail done first!!!!!!!
http://outlaws-iguana-ranch.com Outlaws Website

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/OutlawTexan67/My%20Ironhead/Gifs/BigRotatingSkull.gif "Ironhead Mafia" European Chapter
Old 26th October 2008
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckIRyder View Post
Stroker with a magneto. For the sake of your right leg, make sure the mag is in top condition. Should be a blast to ride. Not many folks will be giving you s**t about the white frame as you leave them in the dust.
It will be about 6 months before it hits the road, as winter is almost here. She has to come most of the way back apart to make it out of the basement, so I might
1) paint the frame to match, also paint the spokes and polish the rims.
2) install compression releases
3) switch from magneto to a distributer/battery.

Any does anybody have any opinions or experience about 2 or 3.
Old 26th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

Joe, For what it's worth, If you have a Good Magneto there is no reason to switch, Cams with overlap actually help starting, if the mag is tired send it to Dave at Morris Magneto, good Honest Guys 30+ yrs..
The Starting Method will be to use the Choke on the S$S as there is no accel pump, I have that carb and is says HotRod 1960! You can Play Leo Payne with that bike, (You Better Not Ask Me Who Leo is!)

If you have not seen this article from Hot Bike Yet, you will Love this, the Good Old days of Drag Racing Sportsters!!!
http://www.hotbikeweb.com/features/0.../photo_01.html
Please open that sucker up Only on the Interstate with the Drum Brake, we want you around!
Old 26th October 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: XL 61 62 64 65 68 70 78
Moon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to allMoon Wolf is a name known to all

I'm all for painting the frame. Don't much care for the white. Really like the bike though. The mag is cooler, but there is no doubt it will start easier with a distributor and battery. Since you have the later oil tank the conversion should be easy. You will need a different regulator, though. I might have the battery box for that oil tank set up if you need it.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 26th October 2008
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: triumph bonneville
Other Motorcycle Year: 1977
frenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of lightfrenchandy is a glorious beacon of light

great looking bike,very different and a real flashback to when going faster meant bore and stroke,good effort
my 2 cents worth is to keep the mag-you aint ever gonna get a spark as fat with anything else,its worth having it rebuilt,the only reason why bike manufacturers changed was because mags became too expensive to produce,
Know Thy Hog