The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
S&S Cycle
CV Performance
DK Customs
Biltwell

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd August 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
spatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the rough
Default My crappy Dyno report

Please Help! The stealerís ďmechanicsĒ keep f ing up my bike! I took the Sporty back in to have them replace the stock spring because they had clipped it and it was bogging. Instead of just doing what I asked, they also put the stock 42 pilot jet back in. They did that and gave me a Dyno report for free (see below) so I just left and figure Iíll fix the rest myself. I have a Ness BS A/C on the bike and SE I 49 state pipes so I know itís going to be lean with a stock pilot jet. When I got home my oil was at 210 degrees which is hot even though itís over 90 out. Iím running with Syn3 and have an oil cooler. It took them 3 hours to do the work and get it on the sniffer. I need to leave right now on a 2K trip to Memphis and back.

Based on the dyno report Iím guessing that I need to bump the pilot back up to a 45 and knock the main jet back a notch. Notice the horrible torque plateau. They supposedly havenít messed with the main so Iím guessing that means I should change it from a 180 to a 175. The needle should be fine because it looks good in the mid rpm range. Does this sound right?

They set the mixture screw at 2 Ĺ turns. I donít have time to rejet before my trip so I backed the screw out another ľ turn to add more fuel to the mix. Iíll watch the temp and pay attention to the sound and feel to see if it needs more. However, Iíll probably run between 2.5 and 3.5K rpms over the next 2K miles this week so that should be okay (fingers crossed). Please let me know if any of this is wrong. Thanks!

I will never go to these people again. Period. Can anyone recommend a place to do the work while I'm in Memphis, TN? I donít want to run it like this for longer than I need to.

Old 3rd August 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: '05
CntryFun is on a distinguished roadCntryFun is on a distinguished roadCntryFun is on a distinguished road

Which dealer did you take it to, Ray Price? I don't know what to tell you about Memphis other than good luck, but when you get back I would check w/ Concord HD and HD of Rocky Mount. I bought my 1200 in Concord and had great success, and a guy I work w/ has been dealing w/ Rocky Mount and swears by them.
Old 3rd August 2006

spatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the rough

Yes it was Ray Price HD. Up to now I've been reluctant to name them because they have agreed to fix their mistakes for free. However, I have yet to get a real "fix" out of them. I'm also tired of waiting 2 weeks to get on the schedule to have them screw something up again. Maybe they are great with racing and big twins, I don't know. What I do know is that they don't know Sporties for squat.
Old 3rd August 2006

CntryFun have you heard anything about Shelton's dealership in Durham? That one's a lot closer to me.
Old 3rd August 2006

jwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura about

I will tell you this my 04 1200r has a screamin eagle ac cycle shack slip ons and the dyna-jet kit I drilled the slide with the bit provided and used there spring and have the needle on the 4th clip down from the top 45/195.
the slide itself cost around 40 bucks if it were me I would go get a new slide and install the dyna jet kit myself it isnt that hard to do.
here is a link to my dyno sheet I have corrected the lean condition by raising the needle .

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=scan0001.jpg
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 05 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: V star classic wife's
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
grizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the roughgrizz420 is a jewel in the rough

if you look at the air fuel ratio it looks really rich to me

if it were mine I'd look and see what main jet was in there and probably drop it a size or two
05 1200R Forcewinder XR air filter, Mikuni HSR 42,Super Trapp 2-1 pipe,TC88a ign., head light visor, chin spoiler, sport front fender, solo seat off 883, 12 and 1/2 inch dual rate Works shocks , dual rate Works fork springs
Old 3rd August 2006
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

A dyno run such as this only shows what the bike is doing at wide open throttle so you really can't tell much about the pilot jet. If it was me I would put the 45 pilot jet back in before your trip. better too rich than too lean.

The main comes into play mostly at WOT and it looks to be okay on the dyno sheet. You can see that as yout slide comes up it gets richer. You might want to shim your needle a bit.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 4th August 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

Yeah, dyno runs are usually done at WOT which basically shows the performance of the main jet at all of those rpms and generally not a huge amount of anything else once the slide is raised. The different circuits of the carb come in to play at different throttle settings and not at diffferent rpm ranges per se. If you want to test the different circuits on a dyno, you'd want to mark the throttle settings for each circuit and hold the throttle to each setting while testing.

Last edited by Don Burton; 5th August 2006 at 11:35..
Old 4th August 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any problems in Memphis P.M. me. I should be able to give you a hand.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 6th August 2006

Thanks for all the info and offer of assistance! This forum is great!

I just rolled into Memphis. I took 3 days to make the 955 mile trip on back roads. Just about every mile was gorgeous. I'll post more later, but 130 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway BEFORE turning into Great Smokey Mountains National Park and THEN a swim in middle branch of the the Pigeon River at a friend's place just outside the park was... there are no words...

This morning I was starting out of Sparta (home of Lester Flatt) and rode past Dan's Harley-Davidson Repair. My carb had been driving me NUTS! I had the mixture screw out a half a turn in the mountains from where the dealer set it and a little more in the flat lands just to get it running half decent between 60 and 70 mph. So I turn around and talk to Dan about my troubles. We both agreed that a 42 slow was too lean. He drops everything and puts me on the lift. The next size up he had was a 46 so he sticks that in and tells me to go give it a spin. It was 100% better. He then checks my plugs to make sure they were okay and asked me if $10 sounded fair. Can you believe it!

Let me say it again: Dan's Harley-Davidson Repair, Dan's Harley-Davidson Repair, Dan's Harley-Davidson Repair near Sparta, TN are stand up people!

My bike is running much, much better. I'll probably still get it Dyno tuned somewhere other than Ray Price H-D, but the trip has become even more fun if that's even possible.
Know Thy Hog