The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
DK Customs
Fix My Hog
Motor Stage

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster 1200 custom
ecworks has disabled reputation
Default Scan, Evaluate, Execute

After about 500 miles on my new 2006 1200 custom and completing the MSF course I'm trying to implement some of the course advise regarding staying alert and anticipating potential hazards. Those of you who've taken the course will remember the 2 second rule, 4 second rule and 12 second rule.

However I'm interested in comments from experienced riders as to what practiced technique they use as they ride along (for example on an urban enviroment) in order to stay alert and avoid problems. Specifically:

1. What sort of scanning are you doing?
2. Exactly how are you planning for avoiding problems (escape routes, etc)
3. What are some common potential hazards and what are you thinking about as you see some reveal themselves and what do you do about it?

Real life examples will be very helpful.

'06 Sport, Stage 1.5, Progressive 412's, color matched HD hardcases, Daytona Twin Tec, Turbota's Modified 35 MAP, Cycle Shack Baloney Cut Slip-ons, Hurricane Flow AC, N-3 cams, Screaming Eagle HD clutch, Pingel Petcock, 75.10 hp, 77.17 torque, more to come ....
Old 4th August 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks
However I'm interested in comments from experienced riders as to what practiced technique they use as they ride along (for example on an urban enviroment) in order to stay alert and avoid problems. Specifically:

1. What sort of scanning are you doing?
I don't let my sight rest on one thing for very long at all. I'm always looking all around, checking my mirrors, checking the sides. If I see something I WANT to look at (insert pic of hot chick or cool car or some neat sight) and I stare at it for more than a second or two, my mind gets restless now with this nagging feeling that I'm endangering myself.

I think this is an instinct that it took some time (years?) to build, but it's automatic and for the most part carries over to my driving now.

Quote:
2. Exactly how are you planning for avoiding problems (escape routes, etc)
Positioning in the lane - making sure I can be seen by potential problems, but still keeping maximum distance from them.

I.e. staying far enough behind traffic so a car waiting to pull onto the street say from my right can see me (which means being more in the right part of the lane AT FIRST), but as I approach the car, drifting more toward the left part of the lane to give a greater distance and better chance of escape.

Also slowing and covering brake/horn under those circumstances.

Again, it becomes automatic after a while.

Quote:
3. What are some common potential hazards and what are you thinking about as you see some reveal themselves and what do you do about it?
OTHER CARS are the biggest hazard

but don't count out pedestrians, bicyclists, kids, animals, road irregularities, trees etc.

again speed, lane positioning, covering

[/QUOTE]
Old 4th August 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nothing at the moment
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB360
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
avnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura aboutavnsteve has a spectacular aura about

for a scooterist, caution to the point of paranoia can actually be justified. Kevm hit it right on
Old 4th August 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Lightning is on a distinguished roadLightning is on a distinguished roadLightning is on a distinguished road

Best rule i know is:
Pretend you are invisible.
Old 4th August 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Know your skill level. Cars are certainly a danger but many riders exceed their own riding skills and the pay off can be devastating. 45% of all MC accidents involve the MC ONLY! No other vehicles. When you think you're the master, you're in deep doo doo.
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th August 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
cgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to all

these guys hit the nail on the head.

drive like they are out to kill you. btw they are.
and expect the unexpected

Patriot Guard NY Region 2
SAL SQN 366 Honor Guard Color Guard
Old 4th August 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
Pulchritude is on a distinguished roadPulchritude is on a distinguished roadPulchritude is on a distinguished roadPulchritude is on a distinguished road

Like Lightning said,

Drive as if you don't think they can see you.

Because usually they don't!
Old 5th August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
SamIam is an unknown quantity at this point

Kevin once again put it perfectly

my input:

speed and corners...not on the highway but secondary roads. I know a nice corner that has a blind turn for vehicles onto the highway and no one stops and looks (you don't have to). If one desregarded the speed sign of 35 MPH (corner easy even for me :45-50) but by the time you would see the danger it would be ...well it would be very bad. One would have just completed the apex and would be a maximum lean to meet a car broadside in a second ...or two. It kind of fools those who don't know.

I watched a pair of bikes do just that (minus the meeting of the other vehicle part) and just prayed they did not meet the unpleasent suprise around the corner. A couple miles down the road they were pulled over looking at a map.

Lots of situations just like that all the time...I read about them and try to learn from them

It's so much fun to wind it up but given the invisiblility and speed...

..and also on the personal side I have high sided my old Sportster on a corner and tried to kill myself but I had a helmet on and just bounced and luckly the bike went over me and not on me...road it home with the handlebars twisted...suicide watch over

Freek'n left wrist (who said that about catching oneself in a fall?) still hurts from that 20 years later.
Old 5th August 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
dannym is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow.....lots of good advice.

I crashed twice the first time I was definitely riding outside my ability to maintain control. It was on a round about loop getting onto a highway and going way too fast. Luckily I hit soft dirt.

The second time someone stopped short in front of me right after it had rained. I got off easy because we had just pulled out from a red light turned green.

I always think safety. No sudden turns or lane changes. Watch the speed, etc...
But the main thing I do on the highway is I know who is around me at all times.
I can tell you where every car around me is at all times and know where I can get out if I have too.

Danny
Old 5th August 2006
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough

A wet leaf in the fall can f--k you up as bad as black ice. Matt
Know Thy Hog