The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Superbrace
Fix My Hog
RYCA Motors
Ironworks Magazine

NRHS Performance Long 2

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 2006 1200C
Other Motorcycle Model: 1970 Honda CB350
wadel is on a distinguished roadwadel is on a distinguished roadwadel is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Fender is dented from seat

I just got back from a 3000 mile ride and my bike looked like crap with 3000 miles of road grime, dirt and rain. I rode with my Mustang Vintage Solo along with the passenger pillon. While I didn't have a passenger, I put a bag (probably about 25 lbs) on the back seat to act as a back rest (worked great). When I took the pillon and seat off to clean the bike, I noticed the middle mounting hole is slanted back towards the taillight with the fender bending along with it. This is the hole where the screw for the front seat goes, along with the spacer for the front of the pillon to mount. Has anyone else had this mounting hole bend backwards? Am I doing something wrong and will it continue to get worse?

I normally ride with the solo seat only. I only weigh 180 so it's not an unusual amount of weight on the seat.
Old 6th August 2006
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Jimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the roughJimbo999 is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to be watching this thread.........Interesting problem.
Blue Loctite is your Friend
Old 6th August 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud ofmerc has much to be proud of

wow-that does not sound like it should happen.
I amreally liking that Mustang solo but am interested in what others say.
I also like the Leprera seats with the optional stitching like flames.
I hope your fender issues can be ironed out.
Old 6th August 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

skratch has disabled reputation

i've not heard of this happening before either. how about a couple of pics so we can see how bad it is.
Old 7th August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C (Heywood)
Sportster/Buell Year: '05
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra (T-Bagger)
Other Motorcycle Year: '03
Krayven Sumhead has disabled reputation

I've got the same seat with at least 10,000 miles on it........ When you attach the passenger pillion, are you sure you captured the 't' nut with the pillion bracket or maybe it was sitting on top of the 't' nut, pushing it down and back???????
The only thing my Mustang seat has done to my bike is the rubber bumpers on the passenger pillion left mars on my rear fender. I usually leave the pillion at home.
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th August 2006
Flat Track Racer

wadel is on a distinguished roadwadel is on a distinguished roadwadel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayven Sumhead
I've got the same seat with at least 10,000 miles on it........ When you attach the passenger pillion, are you sure you captured the 't' nut with the pillion bracket or maybe it was sitting on top of the 't' nut, pushing it down and back???????
The only thing my Mustang seat has done to my bike is the rubber bumpers on the passenger pillion left mars on my rear fender. I usually leave the pillion at home.
Krayven: Good thought but I'm fairly certain the pillon bracket was in the spacer as it should be. There is one thing I forgot: My solo seat was sitting on the yoke of my throw-over saddlebags which changes the angle of the solo seat mounting point a bit.

Here is a picture that shows how it is dented down toward the rear and pulled up toward the front (my photo skills leave a lot to be desired):

Old 7th August 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

skratch has disabled reputation

hmm, it almost looks like your screw was too loose (in the seat mount ) so it was acting as a lever to push the retaining nut down. maybe the thickness of the leather on the yoke of the saddlebags? thinking about it, that could be it, there was a gap between the mounting tab and the top of the retaining nut when you installed it, but your body weight caused the seat pan to flex, thereby putting a lot more stress on the retaining nut.

just a guess on my part, i've never seen that before.

if it were me, i would take my back tire off, tap the dent back flush, and then not use the throwover bags like that again.
Old 7th August 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
flynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enough

Just finished painting my '86 and it was bent when I took it apart, never noticed it prior to working on the fender. I fixed it and had it all nice and straight. Painted and reassembled. within a week it was bent again, just a little, using the factory solo seat. I went back to my Corbin Gunfighter, for different reasons so now I don't care but I understand your problem.

Sam in IN
'86 883/1240
Old 7th August 2006
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Why doe it look like the top of that tee nut is no longer smooth?

Gazza
Old 7th August 2006
Flat Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratch
hmm, it almost looks like your screw was too loose (in the seat mount ) so it was acting as a lever to push the retaining nut down. maybe the thickness of the leather on the yoke of the saddlebags? thinking about it, that could be it, there was a gap between the mounting tab and the top of the retaining nut when you installed it, but your body weight caused the seat pan to flex, thereby putting a lot more stress on the retaining nut.

just a guess on my part, i've never seen that before.

if it were me, i would take my back tire off, tap the dent back flush, and then not use the throwover bags like that again.
Nope, no loose screws (on the bike at least ). I've used the saddlebags on a couple trips before, even with a lot more weight on the pillon (don't tell the wife I said that). But, I think the saddlebags might be the cause. Without them, it is very easy to get the solo seat on but with the saddlebags it takes a bit of muscle to get everything to line up.

I think I'll just keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't get worse. My attempts at bodywork have never turned out right so I won't try to correct this.
Know Thy Hog