The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
Bison Motorsports
Biltwell
Progressive Suspension
Motor Stage

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of
Question Nitrogen in Your Tires ?

I picked this post at another forum. Have not heard this one before. What do ya think?

<<
Read a article about 6 weeks ago on the benefits of nitrogen in your tires verus oxygen written by a man with a PHD. Unlike oxygen nitrogen has no moisture and it leaks out thru rubber much slower.
But the number one reason is it runs cooler and disperses heat better than oxygen thus extending tire life. 300 Costco stores across the usa now fill your new tires that you buy from them with nitrogen. Nascar uses nitrogen and all major airlines fill their tires in their airplanes with nitrogen. So I only took a short ride and did not notice any differences but I think I will see better tire life.
>>
Old 28th February 2005
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm....
It would be kinda odd for anyone to put oxygen in their tires. I usually put air in my tires, air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, the last 1% is other gases. Clicky Here

Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen, so sure it will leak slower through the rubber. Both gases will leak pretty good through a nail hole.

Helium would be pretty bad. It will leak through almost anything. I used to work for a company that made helium leak detectors. If you held the probe on your wrist and took a deep breadth of helium, about 5 seconds later the sensor would go off, because the helium was leaking out of your body right through your skin

Gazza
Old 28th February 2005
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
gilx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
...Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen, so sure it will leak slower through the rubber. Both gases will leak pretty good through a nail hole...
Here in Utah along the Wasatch front we get "inversion layers" in the winter time. A big high pressure area gets stuck over top of us preventing the smog from blowng away. After a couple weeks I swear the smog buildup makes the air half hydrocarbon. This is when I fill my tires...enough complex molecule in there not only does it not leak out, it becomes self-sealing .

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain
Old 28th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

n
A full Nitrogen fill has some benefits but I doubt many people would be able to pick any difference on the street....

who actually bothers to check tire pressures at LEAST once a week????????????

Correct pressure will make the tires last longer too....
Old 28th February 2005
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
toe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud oftoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick
I picked this post at another forum. Have not heard this one before. What do ya think?

<<
300 Costco stores across the usa now fill your new tires that you buy from them with nitrogen. .
>>

So how do they suck out the air that's already in the tire before they put the nitrogen in??? Otherwise you'll still have oxygen in there.........

Ed

The Only Y2K dual-set 883C
So Cal
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th February 2005
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1380cc hot rod
Sportster/Buell Year: 87
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883-1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 87
ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold

I used nitrogen when I was racing, tires and air shifter. Mostly for the air shifter. No moisture means the air shift parts stay clean way longer. For the tires it was the convenience of having the nitrogen bottle handy on the bike trailer. Nascar, Indy car, airplane use is for other reasons. Fast race cars heat tires up pretty good and air expands. Pressure is critical in race cars. When using nitrogen the pressure stays pretty constant regardless of tire heat. For street use, air is cheaper and just as effective.
Ted

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Plato
Old 28th February 2005
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
bubbahog is an unknown quantity at this point

Nitrogen would also be good if you were planning on riding in very low temperatures - like -20F.

I'll stick with the free stuff from the gas station for now.
Old 28th February 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

how about hydrogen?

that would make for a killer burnout
thank god for darwin
Old 28th February 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the roughstevo is a jewel in the rough

that'd be the "Big bang" theory......
Old 28th February 2005
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: FXRS-SP
Sportster/Buell Year: 86
Other Motorcycle Model: wla flathead45
Other Motorcycle Year: 1945
flathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant futureflathead45 has a brilliant future

I doub thee "the hindenberg"
Know Thy Hog