The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
RYCA Motors
CV Performance
Bison Motorsports
Bison Motorsports

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2006
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
rshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura about
Default Weak grandma horn! and people trying to kill me!

I was cruising around this after noon, when some crack whore mom in a mini van on a cell phone smacking her kids in the back Missed me by inches, AS she cut across 2 lanes of traffic on a busy road! so i braked and then proceeded to HONK my puny ASS stock horn at her then abandoned that after i sounded like a puss and flipped her the bird (more manly than that weak horn) with a WTF geasture... i was so tempted to dismount at the light and head butt her window with my helmet!

Then if that wasn't enough some jack off tried to push me into oncoming traffic while i was entering the turn lane to my store he decided he "missed" the entrance and CUT over seeing me at the last second. I parked and took my helmet off and he didn't even try to acknowledge he almost killed me, seeing as how he was standing at his car door on his CELL PHONE! he was probably waiting for an ass whooping i was wanting to give him, but since it was in front of my store, i let is slide... better that then going to jail and loosing my job.

Anyone had any luck with a auto zone/checkers car horn? don't really need one but may decide to change it anyways.
Old 9th August 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Honk-honk!

The thread High Output Horn for Sportsters was just started yesterday, and there have been several threads about horns in the past few weeks... cootertwo and I both have STEBEL compact air horns.. we just bought them from different locations (mine is chrome). My post#4 has a link to post#4 in a different thread, but you can then get to a site that has a sound sample of the STEBEL. Other people have used Wolo BadBoy (basically the American version of the Italian STEBEL) the freewayblaster (some auto store has that) and someone also recommended the Pro Pad Mini Beast to me. Check them all out... but the Stebel works well... just ask KevM. HONK-HONK!

2006 Sportster 1200 Custom, Vivid Black
Taxes paid:
Ness Big Sucker, Samson BigGuns3 Slashers, HONK HONK Stebel AirHorn
Cat's Litter Box
Let me OUT! I wanna go ride my Sporty!
Got a cat the other day. Had to swerve to get it, but I got it.
Old 9th August 2006
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
cwissler is on a distinguished roadcwissler is on a distinguished roadcwissler is on a distinguished road

I run a "low tone" car horn on a homemade bracket in between my frame rails just below & behind my regulator. It can't be seen but alot louder than a stock horn. The tone is very simular to a big twin horn, but it cost me $7.
Old 9th August 2006
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
decrago is an unknown quantity at this point

Do what I do... Flash your left blinker at them!

Seriously, I have one of those loud horns and it is MUCH better than the stock horn. My friend thought a car was honking at him when I accidentally hit it when making a left turn.

[URL="http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7234"]Misc gallery pics[/URL]
[I]Everything I say I know is true because I got the information off of the Internet[/I]
Old 9th August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
opiewontaylor has disabled reputation

The Wolo Bad Boy isn't the American version of the Stebel, it's the same exact horn, and made in Italy too. The only difference, beyond the name, is that the center circular piece is (cheap) chrome, instead of black. I hooked one up a few days ago, but I'm not sure if I'm keeping it. Yeah, it's louder, but compared to my stock chrome cowbell, it looks like a naked Rosie O'Donnel on a bad day..I'm talkin' fugly.......
Know Thy Hog

Old 9th August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1212 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
TheTick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiewontaylor
The Wolo Bad Boy isn't the American version of the Stebel, it's the same exact horn, and made in Italy too. The only difference, beyond the name, is that the center circular piece is (cheap) chrome, instead of black. I hooked one up a few days ago, but I'm not sure if I'm keeping it. Yeah, it's louder, but compared to my stock chrome cowbell, it looks like a naked Rosie O'Donnel on a bad day..I'm talkin' fugly.......
The propad mini beast is just as fugly. Excellent return policy, though. Its very loud, but sounds.... I dunno... girly?
Old 9th August 2006

Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiewontaylor
I didn't know Wolo was made in Italy as well, thanks for pointing that out.
As far as the Stebel being as ugly as Rosie O'Donnel naked, I wouldn't know... when did you have the horror of seeing that?!?! Surprised you didn't burn your retinas out!!!

Stebel mounted where the dinner bell used to be:

2006 Sportster 1200 Custom, Vivid Black
Taxes paid:
Ness Big Sucker, Samson BigGuns3 Slashers, HONK HONK Stebel AirHorn
Cat's Litter Box
Let me OUT! I wanna go ride my Sporty!
Got a cat the other day. Had to swerve to get it, but I got it.
Old 9th August 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Flyrite Rigid completed?
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
indyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the roughindyrednek is a jewel in the rough

Buy this one from Zannotis (sp)
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Suggested retail $79.95
Don't waste $$ on the high output one.
PM me when you get it and I'll put it on.
That is the one on GF's '04.
Works great along with the finger.
Old 9th August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
socal1200R has disabled reputation

Just go to a local auto parts store and pick up a 130db Fiamm Freeway Blaster black plastic fluted horn for $20. Mounts in the stock location, and rotate the horn so it points up, to give further clearance from the front fender. Unless of course you're into bling like having a chrome horn or chrome-plated horn cover, or whatever, then by all means spend the $80 on that HD one. Here's a pic of the one I have on my bike...if you look behind the right brake line, where the stock horn goes, you'll see it...

'05 Sportster 1200R: HD headlight fairing and chin scoop; Wilwood 4-piston calipers; HD Thunderstar wheels, full-floating rotors, s/s brake lines; lots of black parts incl RB Racing LSR 2-1 exhaust; fork boots, handlebars, mirrors, misc hardware; black HD air shocks; black HD oil cooler; RamFlo 400 a/c; custom black paint with chameleon flames; etc.
Old 9th August 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200R
Just go to a local auto parts store and pick up a 130db Fiamm Freeway Blaster black plastic fluted horn for $20. Mounts in the stock location...if you look behind the right brake line, where the stock horn goes, you'll see it...
Stock location on the Sportster customs is on the left between the jugs, but I guess that little thing will fit between the downtubes.

Fiamm Freeway Blaster: You point it up to collect rain? Single horn, non-air. Loud and inexpensive, $20.

Stebel or WOLO: Self-contained duel-tone air horn with mini compressor, no lines to install, all one unit. High and low frequency, loud and still inexpensive $30-$40.

HD Horn: No idea, but overpriced $80... High output one is $125 I think?!?!?
Know Thy Hog