The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Cherrylady2 (58), kkbii (51), Cholo, Quebeker, poboy_27 (43), jay 21 (41), Matt-04-883 (40), timhypo (39), harleybuell2000 (38), Biker-Dale (36)
Energy One Clutches
Dead Creek Cycles
DK Customs
RYCA Motors

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2008
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Hugger Trike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL Iron Head
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
dobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished road
Default My hard clutch pull troubles XLH

I think I found why, I pulled the clutch out & the spacers were all over the place from 1.485 (about the -.040 size) @ two were 1.433 which I think would the releasing disc at an angle & cause binding. So I just ordered all new drive plates & new driven plates & the spacers (standard 1.530) size. I hope this fixes it as I'm about ready to trade it for a jap whatever (not).

Last edited by dobermandave; 11th November 2008 at 13:22.. Reason: Wrong size
Old 11th November 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
maverick is an unknown quantity at this point

hope you get that thing straighten out, did everything work out on the primary adjustor, also if you want to part with the bike I will gladly take it off your hands, just kiddin, I have been building mine for a year now and only about half way done, DON'T GIVE UP IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END, anybody can buy a bike at the stealership but not everybody can work on the ironheads, like I said before you will appreciate it more once you get her straight
Old 11th November 2008
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Hugger Trike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL Iron Head
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
dobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
hope you get that thing straighten out, did everything work out on the primary adjustor, also if you want to part with the bike I will gladly take it off your hands, just kiddin, I have been building mine for a year now and only about half way done, DON'T GIVE UP IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END, anybody can buy a bike at the stealership but not everybody can work on the ironheads, like I said before you will appreciate it more once you get her straight
The primary adjuster worked fine, clutch parts & spacers will be in Thursday . I own a machine shop & could have made the spacers but for $2.99 it wasn't worth it. Now I will mike them when they come in to make sure they are all the same, if not (made in China) I will make them.
Old 12th November 2008
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
maverick is an unknown quantity at this point

always nice to own a machine shop and make your own custom parts, kinda like my job being a welder for a living, it's amazing what you can do with mig and tig machines, but really hope you get it right, keep us posted!!