The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dealers, Stealers, Indys and Parts Dealers
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Dealers, Stealers, Indys and Parts Dealers Who did good by you and who did bad by you

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Bison Motorsports
Bison Motorsports
Superbrace
Figure Machine

Foxcreek Leather
View Poll Results: Regardless of how you feel about HOG, were you soliticed to join your local chapter?
Yes - I was given info or contacted about local chapter membership. 113 40.50%
No - never heard a peep about joining the local chapter when I bought my bike. 166 59.50%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough
Default Were you solicited to join your local HOG Chapter?

New bikes being sold these days come with a one-year national HOG membership gratis. Joining the local dealer-sponsored local chapter is extra, though. From what I've read, most local chapters are BT-intensive and seem to only tolerate Sporties. Maybe that's just perception on our parts, I don't know.

Still, with all the marketing and followup that HD engages in, I'm surprised that there isn't a more concerted effort to recruit new Sporty buyers into the local chapter -- maybe that's intentional? I've never been approached by anyone from my local chapter, either at sales time or afterwards. How about you?

67 XL Forum members -- people just like you (only now a little skinnier) -- have joined and
pledged to lose over 2,400 pounds. We've lost over 459 pounds so far!

2 people have already achieved their goals!

Check out our progress on the Weight Loss Stats Page (http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Public/XLFWeights.htm). You can join at any time by sending me a PM.

Check out my Sportster photo gallery (http://gallery.mac.com/dagruber#100025&view=carouseljs&sel=0)!
Old 20th August 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagsportster
New bikes being sold these days come with a one-year national HOG membership gratis. Joining the local dealer-sponsored local chapter is extra, though... I've never been approached by anyone from my local chapter, either at sales time or afterwards. How about you?
Got my free one-year with purchase... and no... no one from my local chapter has contacted me. I have checked their website, but haven't seen anything worth my time for me to attend.
Old 20th August 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: K1200RS BMW
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
barnes138 has disabled reputation

I got the free one year back in '98 but never participated in anything (I was overseas at the time). When I got back to the US in 2002, I went on a couple of rides with the local chapter, but decided not to join when almost every comment out of the members' mouths were derogatory about my Sportster. I started my own crew and rode with guys that had all kinds of bikes - Hondas, BMWs, Yamahas, etc.
Old 20th August 2006
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Bow6 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a small info packet about the local chapter in bundled literature recieved with purchase of new Sportster...
Old 20th August 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
CaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant futureCaptEvo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinetcat
Got my free one-year with purchase... and no... no one from my local chapter has contacted me. I have checked their website, but haven't seen anything worth my time for me to attend.

Same here.

Know Thy Hog

Old 20th August 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

I got the Freeby National HOG stuff when I bought my scoot and not a thing about the Local Chapter!!!!!!

Old 20th August 2006
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna Street Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
fafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of lightfafcpa is a glorious beacon of light

Seem to recall that first year in the local was gratis because it was late in the year. I joined for the years afterwards because dealer gives a 10% discount to local members. Starting next year you have to volunteer hours to the club to get your membership discount

Club mostly has BT's but there are a number of Sportsters. Have not gone on any rides with the club but do attend meetings and help out as I can.

Last edited by fafcpa; 20th August 2006 at 11:59..
Old 20th August 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883H/1200H
Sportster/Buell Year: '96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH 1000 w/elec. leg too
Sportster/Buell Year #2: '72
sportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant futuresportysrock has a brilliant future

Got the free local chapter membership with my bike but it was dealer local and 90 miles away so I never went. The real local one always meets at the dealer and isn't all that fun. They do some rides and poker runs now and then.
Political Correctness never killed any terrorists.
Old 20th August 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XR 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
benford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nicebenford46 is just really nice

Never approached
Old 20th August 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FJR 1300
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
JohnT has disabled reputation

Like everything, some local chapters are good; some bad. Most are, however, very BT oriented. My chapter doesn't solicit anyone to join and revolves around a small clique of people (all BT owners) who know each other well and ride together regularly. The local chapter meetings resemble a Halloween party, with everyone dressed up in Harley gear loaded with pins and ride patches—even if they didn't ride their bikes to the meeting. Bottom line: if part of your reason for buying your Sporty was to become part of the 'Harley family', you bought the wrong bike.
Know Thy Hog