The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Superbrace
Get Lowered
Progressive Suspension

Figure Machine

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 2005 XL custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
carl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy right foot rest..Warning

Today I went for a ride up into the north Georgia mountains.During most of my long rides I will sometimes shift my weight or move my ass up by putting my body weight pressure on both my footrests.
Well today during one one of my " body shifts", I felt my right footrest come loose.I stopped at an autozone and picked up some allen wrenches to tighten up to what I thought was loose bolts on my brake/footrest support...but hell no...the top allen bolt was sheared off and the bottom wont tighten up or come out...I got a feeling that it has stripped out... and will need a helicoil kit that I will no doubt be putting one in.I weigh only 180 lbs at 5 9 ...expected better bolt strength than that.
I had to strap up my right brake pedal/footrest assembly and carefully use my front brake to get home...So don't do as I did or you will get "-I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- "

Last edited by carl2124; 4th September 2006 at 07:15..
Old 4th September 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 883 Hugge, 1994 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
streetshooter is an unknown quantity at this point

something else to pay attention to is....that the footrest goes into the case...it's like white metal and can break very easy.....I found that out the hard way a few times and the last accident....completely broke the case where the pedal goes in.....of course then the adjuster for the master cylinder goes too....ansd then.....
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 4th September 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: XL
mikekj is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they center pegs, or forward controls?
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Rat Bastard
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL175-Rot'n Bastard
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
Scooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really niceScooter_Trash is just really nice

Yup, I broke a right footpeg just the other week. You have know idea how hard it is to find female footpegs. Of course the dealer is telling me that I'm wrong and my bike takes male pegs. The new HD mantra "the customer knows nothing and the parts manual is always right."
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th September 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Hmm... I know the brackets are made from cheap metal, but it surprises me that you had that problem. My bike fell on it's side on a trailer (thank God it didn't fall OFF the trailer), and when it fell the right forward control bracket bent, but didn't break. I was able to bend it back down and haven't had any problems - but now I've got something to pay attention to.
Old 4th September 2006

carl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enoughcarl2124 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekj
Are they center pegs, or forward controls?
Mine are forward controls....
Old 4th September 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetshooter
something else to pay attention to is....that the footrest goes into the case...it's like white metal and can break very easy.....I found that out the hard way a few times and the last accident....completely broke the case where the pedal goes in.....of course then the adjuster for the master cylinder goes too....ansd then.....
Did you tap the hole or use a helicoil??
Old 4th September 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1998 883 Hugge, 1994 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
streetshooter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2124
Did you tap the hole or use a helicoil??
the case has to be replaced..I actually put a new chrome one on...not a hard job but it shattered my illusions about how rock solid my bike was.....
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
dagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the roughdagsportster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well today during one one of my " body shifts", I felt my right footrest come loose.
Wow, that's something to check out. I frequently pull on the bars and lift up to de-weight (not that easy with forward controls), so the stress to the pegs is more lateral than vertical.

Did you ever do any monkeying with the brackets or are they totally as they were when you bought the bike? Is it still under warranty?
Know Thy Hog