The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
BIKE BUILDER
Dead Creek Cycles
Superbrace
Motor Stage

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
coaltal has disabled reputation
Default Need help with CV w/thuderslide installed

Hello all, I just got a CV carb off Ebay to replace the leaking Bendix that is on the 83 XLX I just got. The CV came with a thunderslide kit already installed. After reading all the post I think now I would have perfered it without the Thunderslide kit installed. My question is does anyone have any suggestion for Jetting on a CV/thunderslide on an Ironhead. From what I've read here so far 45slow and 175main tend to be the ideal start for jetting, but how much would a thunderslide kit throw that off. Oh, I also have new cycle shack pipes coming and am looking into a new air cleaner. Any thought are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

The addition of the Thunder Slide does not change the jetting requirements for your bike. Start with Jetting 101 by stevo, and tune by paying attention to the symptoms. 45/175 should be fine to get you running.

--Chris
Old 4th September 2006
Biker

Thanks again, you guys are a wealth of information. One more thing if anybody knows. Could I re-jet with the main with a stock Keihin main jet or does it have to be a Dynojet main jet. From what i understand this kit when installed comes with a Dynojet emulsion tube and main jet.
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
spatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the rough

I'm pretty sure your stock main won't fit in a Dynojet emulsion tube. Today I tried the other way around and found the Dynojet main jet to be too small in diameter for the stock emulsion tube.
[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][URL="http://www.freebase.com/view/guid/9202a8c04000641f8000000006fb5c28?domain=%2Fuser%2Fspatialed%2Fmotorcycle"]SHORT BUS ONE[/URL]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]Love every mile: city, country, mountain, highway...
Old 4th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

You need the BJ style jets specific to the Thunderslide even. Regular Dynojet DJ jets won't fit. There are at least 3 different threads on jets that I know of for the CV:

stock
Dynojet - DJ style jets
Thunderslide - BJ style jets

I can't even guess what the thread pitches and diameters are, but they are all different and not interchangeable. You need Thunderslide jets.

--Chris
Know Thy Hog

Old 4th September 2006
Biker

Thanks again guys.