If you have been following my progress you have seen pics of my 79 ironhead resto. Well I went to install the engine in my frame and boy that was a challenge. First problem was the bottom of the frame, the rails would not go around the bottom of the engine like where an oil pan would be. Nuts and the tip of the bolt hit the frame on the left side and the protrusion by the oil pump hits on the right side. Not sure if the frame got tweaked but it came out of the frame without this problem. This is one I will have to work out. NO easy fix for this one. I suppose I could use ratchet straps and my 57 on one side and my truck on the other and stretch them apart!!!!
Second problem was the rear motor mount (where I need advice). When I had the engine rebuilt I had them replace the motor mount, they had a used one. Well I noticed it was cracked and this is common. On top of that the bottom nuts on the mount looked like someone tried to install new ones. This made the bottom protrude lower than it should and the mount hit the tab on the frame not allowing the motor to go any lower. I can almost line up the top bolts but the bottome ones are still a good half inch off. So from the front to the back of the motor is not low enough.
My question, I am going to get a new motor mount. I see a replacement that is about $50, or JP offers one that is high tensile alloy they claim is more durable than the replacement for $119. Is it worth the extra money, I have yet to spare any expense and the tab is getting bigger. Anyone ever install the high tensile alloy motor mount, any fitment issues, any and all opinions welcome. Thanks!!
I will order the good one. I took the motor mount off the engine last night and I can clearly see why the mount would not allow the back of the engine to go down any further. The mount should be flat on the bottom and it had been welded around the nut and the extra material made the bottom of the mount "not flat". Thanks for the advice.
Now the other issue. I believe waitetei is on to something with switching the bolts around. Last night I measured the frame and the frame tapered in towards the front motor mount by a little less than 1/8 inch. I put the frame in a vice and pryed it apart and was able to get about a 1/16 inch which allowed the motor to go a little lower in the frame, still not enough. I was going to grind the end of the bolt down, but I will try to reverse the bolts first. Thanks for your responses.