The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Figure Machine
Get Lowered
Get Lowered
DK Customs

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1979 XLS
Other Motorcycle Model: 3 1985-86 ATC 250r Trikes
chevy57harley79 is on a distinguished roadchevy57harley79 is on a distinguished road
Default I need help with my Rear

Motor Mount.

If you have been following my progress you have seen pics of my 79 ironhead resto. Well I went to install the engine in my frame and boy that was a challenge. First problem was the bottom of the frame, the rails would not go around the bottom of the engine like where an oil pan would be. Nuts and the tip of the bolt hit the frame on the left side and the protrusion by the oil pump hits on the right side. Not sure if the frame got tweaked but it came out of the frame without this problem. This is one I will have to work out. NO easy fix for this one. I suppose I could use ratchet straps and my 57 on one side and my truck on the other and stretch them apart!!!!

Second problem was the rear motor mount (where I need advice). When I had the engine rebuilt I had them replace the motor mount, they had a used one. Well I noticed it was cracked and this is common. On top of that the bottom nuts on the mount looked like someone tried to install new ones. This made the bottom protrude lower than it should and the mount hit the tab on the frame not allowing the motor to go any lower. I can almost line up the top bolts but the bottome ones are still a good half inch off. So from the front to the back of the motor is not low enough.

My question, I am going to get a new motor mount. I see a replacement that is about $50, or JP offers one that is high tensile alloy they claim is more durable than the replacement for $119. Is it worth the extra money, I have yet to spare any expense and the tab is getting bigger. Anyone ever install the high tensile alloy motor mount, any fitment issues, any and all opinions welcome. Thanks!!
Old 15th September 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Spend the money. The rear mount has always been a weak spot. When it cracks the vibration goes way up...
Old 15th September 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Wood
Spend the money. The rear mount has always been a weak spot. When it cracks the vibration goes way up...
You got that right. when mine broke on monday the vibration went right off the scale.....And get the heavy duty one.
Old 15th September 2006
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: SEVERAL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
roadster has disabled reputation

Trock use to make an iron one for drag racers but it would be a find today. Get a good one and make sure thereis NO PRELOAD when you bolt it into the frame.
Old 15th September 2006
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlcr
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Hardon sporty/norton hybr
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Other Motorcycle Model: panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1952
waiteitei is an unknown quantity at this point

re nuts fouling on frame on your 79

had that on my 80 XLS, you need to put the bolts thru from the other side and everything will clear ok
Know Thy Hog

Old 15th September 2006
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1979 XLS
Other Motorcycle Model: 3 1985-86 ATC 250r Trikes
chevy57harley79 is on a distinguished roadchevy57harley79 is on a distinguished road

I will order the good one. I took the motor mount off the engine last night and I can clearly see why the mount would not allow the back of the engine to go down any further. The mount should be flat on the bottom and it had been welded around the nut and the extra material made the bottom of the mount "not flat". Thanks for the advice.

Now the other issue. I believe waitetei is on to something with switching the bolts around. Last night I measured the frame and the frame tapered in towards the front motor mount by a little less than 1/8 inch. I put the frame in a vice and pryed it apart and was able to get about a 1/16 inch which allowed the motor to go a little lower in the frame, still not enough. I was going to grind the end of the bolt down, but I will try to reverse the bolts first. Thanks for your responses.