The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (64), svoracer (61), curly h (60), mosby (57), barry1967 (47), BiggyJ (47), the_MAD_Baker (46), deadeye (41), SharkMDick (39), bdbecker (31)
Fix My Hog
NRHS Performance Long 2
883 Sportster
Energy One Clutches

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CSDSPC
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ducati HyperMoto 1100 S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: GPz 750 - sold to Chica
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
hooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura about
Default Homemade Supertrapp

I think I'm growing out of the whole loud pipe thing

A few months back, I picked up an '82 GPz750 to be an alternate to the Sporty since my bikes are currently my only transportation. The more I ride the Kawi with it's sporty sounding (and relatively quiet) 4-1 Yoshimura exhaust the less I like how stinkin loud the V&H Straightshot HS pipes are on my Sporty.

If I had the cash, I'd just go with the Supertrapp Supermeg, but I don't so I'm wondering if there is a way that I could rig up some sort of tunable disc system on my current pipes.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Anyone one have any ideas of things I could try? Or should I just ask for the Supermeg for Christmas
Old 10th December 2008
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is a way that I could rig up some sort of tunable disc system on my current pipes.
Supertrapp will sell you parts. Buy just what you need and make the rest if you can. Save $500. Good luck.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 10th December 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

hooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura abouthooptygoo has a spectacular aura about

That's what I was thinking, but it looks as though the smallest discs they make are 3"ers. I'm not sure what the outlet is on my V&Hs but I know they aren't that big.
Old 10th December 2008
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200R- Vivid Black+
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
paris15 has disabled reputation

Take another look at it. Check your pipe dimension, then go to the "Universal" catalog on the Supertrapp site. They make 'em for dirt bikes, so I know they make 'em for what you got. Check the Kirker section of the catalog, as well.
Good Luck!
Old 5th February 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
projectracerabbit is on a distinguished roadprojectracerabbit is on a distinguished roadprojectracerabbit is on a distinguished roadprojectracerabbit is on a distinguished roadprojectracerabbit is on a distinguished road

seems like you could maybe just make a 2:1 union, maybe from a muffler shop, then slip it over the end of the V&H, then buy a supertrapp muffler and stick on there.
SuperTrapp 2:1, PC3, DragtronII/K&N, Chainsikle rearsets, Biltwell clubmans, xlc tank, RK shocks, HD QR rack, Mustang wide solo, dual gauges, Rocker grenade coil, HD 1/4 fairing, Intiminators, Superbrace, Works HD springs, Pirellie night dragons, powdercoated 80% of the bike in S&S wrinkle black,... 78.72HP/79TQ on a Dynojet
Know Thy Hog

Old 5th February 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1380cc hot rod
Sportster/Buell Year: 87
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883-1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 87
ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold

Check out Summit Racing for an assortment of Supertrap mufflers.
Ted

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Plato
Old 5th February 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 900
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
kane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nice

My buddy made one him self. Not to to save money, just because he could.
Started with a 4" aluminium stock and ended up like this after some hours of turning and milling.
Old 5th February 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Started with a 4" aluminium stock and ended up like this after some hours of turning and milling.
Whoa, that's pretty wild. I like it. I love things that don't really fit the "standard" Harley mold.

You'll see in my sig pic that I ended up going more the Buell route than Supertrapp, but it fills the same purpose: Quiet, but mean.
Old 5th February 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 900
Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
kane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nicekane is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooptygoo View Post
Whoa, that's pretty wild. I like it. I love things that don't really fit the "standard" Harley mold.

You'll see in my sig pic that I ended up going more the Buell route than Supertrapp, but it fills the same purpose: Quiet, but mean.
How`s the sound in it, in tone I mean. Is it deep, mid-tone, pitchy, mumbling like a v8 or crisp as a ferrari? And how`s performance?
Old 5th February 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: none
Sportster/Buell Year: 0
jimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of lightjimmyess333 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
I love the look of that muffler!
Very "Steam Punk".
Know Thy Hog