The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dealers, Stealers, Indys and Parts Dealers
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Dealers, Stealers, Indys and Parts Dealers Who did good by you and who did bad by you

Members Birthdays
Licks Holiday
Superbrace
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
rshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura about
Default Underhanded Greedy Dealers!

Well long story made as short as possible...

When i purchased my 04 i got the extended warranty, and the wheel and tire warranty both for 3 years. Never thought there would be anything BUT a HD tire warranty... and never told there were "options" because my dealer failed to mention there were any. kind of a "this is the HD extended warranty, and would you like the tire and wheel coverage also?"

Well i needed to use my tire and wheel warranty... come to find out its NOT HD! so i went to arrowhead HD, and not hacienda HD where i bought it from cause its 40miles from my house where arrowhead is 10.

So i find out i have a crappy tire warranty which their office is closed sat & sun, and you need pre-authorization and a 15 mile towing limit... so i bend over and take one for the team so I'm not stranded and spend $195.00 for the tire and installation (i would rather save 100.00 and use tire irons, which is why i opted for the warranty in the first place)

Funny thing is hacienda would have had no problem doing the tire and waiting to call it in monday... but theres 30 miles between them and me so... i talked to the service manager at hacienda and he assured me they are pretty easy to get reimbursement from so no biggie... ill wait

I call the place on monday... at 3pm Arizona time... and they are closed so i call today at noon and get a rep who happened to be VERY helpful, so i got a claim # and faxed over the invoice from arrowhead, now i have to wait to make sure its approved...

Well i plan on taking a trip to hacienda tomorrow and talking to the sales manager and who ever the top dog in finance is and find out why they are lying to customers... because i want the HD warranty... i want COVERAGE if I'm going to pay for it not the run around!

The funny thing is they make more money selling us the crappy coverage because they usually OWN the place (at least it worked this way when i sold cars, we sold our own insurance, gap, ect... and it was all owned by the dealership, no middle men)

at any rate i fell it was the ol bait and switch... and yeah im kicking myself in the ass because i let that one detail slip...

Moral of the story... don't ever get to comfortable to look over EVERY detail when someone is trying to take your money!

Ill keep everyone posted on how my meeting goes tomorrow!
Old 20th September 2006
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Clarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of lightClarinetcat is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm.... sorry about your new butt hole.

Usually, any extra warranty is nothing more than a money maker for most dealerships and their salespeople
(don't ask...)

Funny thing is, when I bought my new '06 and asked about the extended warranty to get on top of the factory 24 month one, they said don't bother, it wasn't worth it...

Maybe they don't get paid by commission.

2006 Sportster 1200 Custom, Vivid Black
Taxes paid:
Ness Big Sucker with dodgenbullets breather, Samson BigGuns3 Slashers, HONK HONK Stebel AirHorn
Cat's Litter Box
Let me OUT! I wanna go ride my Sporty!
Got a cat the other day. Had to swerve to get it, but I got it.
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
cgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to all

when i talked to the stealer it came down to this
they were betting they would not have to spend that much money on my bike
in that amount of time. when i asked myself if i could spend that much if i had to i was okay with it.

its kinda like insurance. i dont have it, so i hope saorise does not get sick

now if it had been an amf harley......

Patriot Guard NY Region 2
SAL SQN 366 Honor Guard Color Guard
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

AFAIK, there is no H-D tire warranty beyond the Factory warranty. There is the 24 month factory warranty, an OEM (Dunlop) warranty on the tires, and then all the other tire coverage and road hazard coverages I have seen are all aftermarket (non-HD) products. I forget the company names now. None were H-D though.

Even the factory Extended Warranty is a separate company, but at least H-D owns them. There are also non-factory owned extended warranties (rightly called "extended service plans"), Extra Ride being one of them. There are others.

Most of the stuff added on in the finance office is not offered by the H-D Motor Company. Not sure what they told you when the paperwork was being signed, but I don't think there IS an extended H-D tire warranty. Good luck.

--Chris
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
rshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura aboutrshute4 has a spectacular aura about

No i know that extended warranties are nothing but money makers for dealers, however being my first bike (let alone Harley) i decided it wouldn't be a bad idea with labor costs today...

plus i had an extended warranty on my truck, which i used above and beyond what it cost me when i bought it during the last 200 miles left on the warranty i had major problems which were fixed for all of $50.00.

However the tire warranty i don't think is a waste $395.00 for 3 years... use it one or two times and it pays for its self.

I'm pissed about the fact that they sell/push an inferior warranty, without telling you its NOT a HD backed warranty... we all know that when it comes to signing crap they stick the ones you should really look at at the bottom of the stack...

Chrishajer - i will find out tomorrow... if Harley actually offers a seperat tire warranty, like i said before it was "ok so you want the extended warrranty, and how about the tire coverage..." no mention of any seperation between the two, and when you look at the "extended service/warranty contract" there is a section for tire and warranty coverage" its under "optional coverage" which i was told by the dealer installing my tire that its provided by HD.
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th September 2006

chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgp-1200R
its kinda like insurance. i dont have it, so i hope saorise does not get sick
It is exactly like insurance. It IS insurance. Like any insurance, you weigh the cost of buying it vs. the cost of not having it if you need it.

--Chris
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 94 HP XL1200C sold :(
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Yamaha Raider
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
Terp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to beholdTerp84Alum is a splendid one to behold

I would bet that you will get reimbursed. I've had 3rd party warranties before and things have usually worked out.

**RIP MR. JIMI & JOHNNY G**
Old 20th September 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
cgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to allcgp-1200R is a name known to all

maybe it was the dealer. i got the impression he thought it was a waste of money. when we talked about it, he just said if you want it its there. asked the other hd owners i know, none had it.

interestingly the sales guy told me he made the same commsion on a sporty or bt
Old 20th September 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshute4
Chrishajer - i will find out tomorrow... if Harley actually offers a seperat tire warranty, like i said before it was "ok so you want the extended warrranty, and how about the tire coverage..." no mention of any seperation between the two, and when you look at the "extended service/warranty contract" there is a section for tire and warranty coverage" its under "optional coverage" which i was told by the dealer installing my tire that its provided by HD.
Please let us know. A copy of the contract, to see who you're doing business with is always a good thing too. Just black out the portions you don't want posted, should you choose to post a copy of it. I would also be curious to hear if there IS a H-D tire warranty. I have changed a lot of tires and have done a lot of warranty paperwork and never saw a H-D tire contract.

I think the tire and wheel coverage will probably work out, reimbursement-wise, but I would be pissed like you if they told me it was H-D coverage when it clearly is not.

Do they videotape F&I transactions in your state?

--Chris
Old 20th September 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgp-1200R
interestingly the sales guy told me he made the same commsion on a sporty or bt
Sales guys say a lot of things, don't they? I think the pay plan is specific to the dealer. Some pay more for specific models, or based on the price they sell them for, or have contests for certain models in certain months. It may be true that a bike was a bike to him, commission-wise. I think that would be a good thing from the customer's perspective.

--Chris
Know Thy Hog