The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Dead Creek Cycles
RYCA Motors
Dead Creek Cycles
DK Customs

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: XR 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
German61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of light
Question Clutch and Primary Problems on my old K-XLCH-XR

This is a question to all maniac Ironhead mechanics and experienced Old Iron Owners. (Sorry for my poor english, I am a stupid German )

I am talking about an original XR 750 from 1980, but this clutch problem is similar to old XLCH and K Models with dry clutch. In the XR-Group people are talking about new XR1200...

On my new toy there is a big and difficult problem with the clutch cover is touching (and grinding) the primary tin cover.

I removed the whole primary drive and clutch. The bike has only 1700 original miles on it and everything except the clutch looks like untouched and new. The primary chain alignement is pretty perfect, the distance from back of clutch shell to crank gear very little.

Shortening the clutch sprocket spacer would possibly result in misalignment of front chain and problems with the starter clutch.

The clutch shell has noticable play on the needle bearing, but nothing looks damaged and on my other old Ironhead I remember the same play.

Has anybody an idea or had the same problem? What the hell I can do? How much play of clutch shell on needle bearing is normal?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

PS: Frenchowl is already involved
Old 13th December 2008
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1000Bobber/Chop project
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Beltfed will become famous soon enoughBeltfed will become famous soon enoughBeltfed will become famous soon enoughBeltfed will become famous soon enoughBeltfed will become famous soon enoughBeltfed will become famous soon enough

Damn I got no idea. Did someone stack one or two too many clutch disks in it? Just my shot in the dark.

San Jose, CA
Old 13th December 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 66
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 67 XLH, 63 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 67
Other Motorcycle Model: FXRT
Other Motorcycle Year: 91
66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

I think that XR's have narrower clutch baskets than XL's. Is your basket from an XL? I have an XR primary cover for my XLCH, and it doesn't clear the stock XL basket, so I'm going to run a primary spacer, designed for belt drives with it. I remember reading this factoid in Allen Girdslers book on XR's.
Old 13th December 2008
Master Bike Builder

66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about66xlch has a spectacular aura about

BTW, too many plates won't cause this as the basket gets a cover, and the overall width is determined by this cover.
Old 14th December 2008
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XR 750
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: XR 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
German61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of lightGerman61xlch is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66xlch View Post
I think that XR's have narrower clutch baskets than XL's. Is your basket from an XL? I have an XR primary cover for my XLCH, and it doesn't clear the stock XL basket, so I'm going to run a primary spacer, designed for belt drives with it. I remember reading this factoid in Allen Girdslers book on XR's.
in the xr-parts catalog the number of the clutch sprocket assy with 59t, 7 plate (seems to be the clutch basket) is 37702-57.
All special xr-parts have a R as last digit, though it seems to be the same basket as on XLs ?

The number of the XR front chain cover is 34949-64, it seems to be the same as on my early XLCH from 1961? I am wondering if yours doesnt clear your XL basket. On the other hand the number ends with -64, it seems to be different to early XLCH up to 1964? Unfortunatly I dont have a XL Parts catalog.

Where I could get a primary spacer, do you have a pic or some measurments?

Thanks,
Andreas

PS: Of course, the number of plates doesnt effect the clearance between clutch cover and chain cover.
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th December 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

You can Google Moroney's Harley in Newburgh,NY, ask for Steve McPhillips, Steve owns an XR750 Iron and is an XR- XL Guru as well as a Race Team Motor Builder. Ask Steve about this issue, my feeling is that different era primary covers may have way different tolorences from the gasket flat to the outer cap over the basket, such is the case where the early XL had the ribbed cap spot welded to the early primary, they were 2 piece.
BTW Buffalo Cycle Works on Ebay remade all the Harley Manuals including parts books..
Good Luck..
Old 14th December 2008
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of lightfdny37 is a glorious beacon of light

There are two different clutch baskets for the old XL's. The electric/kick basket will not fit the kick only (XLCH) models, as the starter ring gear teeth will not clear the cases. I'm a little confused when you say 59t clutch basket for the XR. Weren't XR's all kick only and if so why would a electric basket be listed for a part number. Have you checked the sprocket spacer to see which one you have? If it is the long one then try the short one and check your clearance again. I know it sounds stupid right now but you did say everything else looks new except the clutch. Check to see if you have the right motor sprocket on there also, maybe it's the wrong one with a different offset. Go thru everything while you have it open. Hey, you never know.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 14th December 2008
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Year: 1970
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumphs
Other Motorcycle Year: 1964
Campsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the roughCampsurf is a jewel in the rough

There's spacer for sale on Ebay right now the guy is asking $100 for it.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...spagenameZWDVW

This one looks to be for non electric start models and designed for belt drive.. I have seen them for electric start models too...

Is the whole basket hitting or just the screws or center? On my dry clutch basket the clutch hub bolts hit the derby.. you are probably close by an 1/8" or so..

Jim
Old 14th December 2008
Master Bike Builder

That ( the ebay spacer) is the one I have. Any clutch basket that is a -57 can't be electric start, as they didn't come out until '67. I will check my clutch basket later today, and see if it is 59t, but I remember Allan Girdler mentioning the clutch basket for XRs being thinner, and taking less plates, because I thought it strange that the race bike would have less clutch plate surface. Now he had a waffle iron, and yours is an '80 alloy XR, but still.
Old 14th December 2008
Master Bike Builder

BTW I have the cast aluminum primary with the mount for a motoplat ign. at the front. It is late '70s. The earlier ones are just steel XLCH.
Know Thy Hog